THON
THON
Photo by Caroline Kannapell

In Preparation for THON 2023: Your THON Weekend Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

THON weekend is rapidly approaching, so it’s time to stock up on some THON essentials! Here’s a general list of some items that are must-haves if you’re planning on spending time in the Bryce Jordan Center on THON Weekend.

comfortable sneakers

This. Is. Key. Do not worry about wearing cute shoes to the BJC on THON Weekend, I promise that nobody is looking at your shoes. Wear something comfortable that you can stand in for hours at a time and line dance in. I have a favorite pair of old running sneakers and they are the UGLIEST shoes I own, but you better believe that those sneakers will be on my feet from February 17th to 19th.

a clear bag

You will not be allowed in the BJC with a bag that is not clear! If you plan on bringing any items other than yourself, your coat, and your phone, make sure you have a clear bag to carry them in.

extra cash

Although sneaking in snacks can be done, the general rule on THON Weekend is that no food should enter the building. This means that you are going to need to set aside some extra money for the incredibly overpriced BJC food stands. Get yourself a chicken basket and some fries (and remember that you’ll be standing while eating them so make sure you don’t go too crazy with the condiments!).

tennis balls

Rolling tennis balls on your sore feet around hour 27 is a game-changer. Please get yourself some tennis balls.

a hair tie

If you have long hair, don’t do what I did last year and forget a hair tie! There are a lot of people packed into the BJC and you will get warm! Just make sure you throw one on your wrist before you head out the door.

a portable phone charger

It’s easy to forget, but phone batteries can only last so long and you cannot use the outlets in the BJC. Purchase a portable phone charger before THON Weekend so that you can enjoy your time at the BJC without stressing about your phone dying!

deodorant (PLEASE!)

For the love of everyone in the BJC on THON Weekend, everybody please bring an extra stick of deodorant! You will be packed into close quarters with both friends and strangers, and nobody around you wants to smell your BO.

headphones

THON can absolutely get overstimulating, especially when you’re sleep deprived and you feel like you’ve heard the line dance two hundred times. If you need a pair of noise-canceling headphones and a moment to yourself, there is no shame in that. You’re supporting an amazing cause, but it’s okay to give yourself a break!

an open heart and mind

THON Weekend is a very fun experience filled with bright colors, exciting performances and 24/7 entertainment. However, with all of this, it can sometimes be easy to forget why you’re really there and what we are all working toward. Before you enter the BJC, it is important to take the time to remember all of the angels we have lost and all of the THON children we continue to fundraise for.

If you go down to the floor, remember that you are supporting both the dancers and the families, and it is important to conduct yourself in a kind, sensitive manner, remembering that this weekend can be an incredibly painful reminder of loss for many families involved.

Take care of yourself this THON Weekend, and as always, FTK.

Emma is a third-year Elementary and Early Childhood Education major at Penn State University. When she's not writing, you can usually find her singing, reading, painting, going on walks, hanging out with friends/her incredible boyfriend, and drinking iced chai lattes. Outside of Her Campus, Emma is the President of the Penn State Singing Lions, a Students United Against Poverty Ambassador, a member of the Phi Eta Sigma honors fraternity, and works at an after-school program.