Style > Fashion

I Thrifted Harry-Style Outfits to Celebrate Harry’s House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

My closet is not the same as it was.

Having to wait until late May for Harry Styles’ new album, “Harry’s House,” I have resorted to retail therapy to prevent myself from going feral. Through this, I decided to take on the challenge of crafting Harry-themed outfits of my own.

My journey began on a Monday afternoon, rummaging through different Pinterest boards of Harry’s most iconic outfits and driving to the local Goodwill. While researching, I quickly came to realize how important accessories would be for each of my looks. Looking for a pair of shades reminiscent of “Watermelon Sugar” and a pearl necklace was my top priority; the actual outfits were simply crafted on-the-spot, since I couldn’t predict what types of clothes I would find.

To be honest, Goodwill didn’t offer much to work with. I nearly bought a bright green blazer, but hesitated. While it would’ve had the “wow” factor that I was hoping for, I knew that if I bought the blazer, I would wear it a few times and then it would end up sitting in my closet waiting to be donated. I wanted to find clothes that could pull off the look that I was going for, while still being versatile enough for me to get use out of them.

The perfect place to find funky sunglasses was at Tigers Eye Vintage Shop, another local thrift store. Other than the glasses I chose, there was such a lovely assortment of shades to pick from.

Although I had hoped to thrift the pearl necklace, I did not have the best luck in the jewelry department at either shop. Goodwill had no pearls in sight, and Tigers Eye only had earrings and bracelets on display when I went, so I ended up ordering my pearls on Amazon. 

Outfit #1

Woman wearing a red and white outfit with a pearl necklace.
Original photo by Ava Kidd

Everything in this look other than the necklace and corset is thrifted.

Before you say anything, trust me, I was doubtful about this shirt too. When I first saw it, I did not even consider it for the final look, however, I kept going back to it. Something about the sleeve length and how they loosely fit my arms sealed the deal for me. The buttons on it are made out of bone, which I thought added a unique touch. 

As I approached the pants aisle, I could feel the dread building in my stomach. I often struggle to find pants that fit me and actually look flattering, so I was prepared for the worst. I knew I wanted a pair of white pants, like on the cover of Fine Line, but mulling through the white bottoms, they were all either way too small, way too big, or had weird stains on them. 

Just as I began to lose hope, I kid you not, the very last pair of white pants in the aisle ended up being the most perfect pair of bell bottoms. These pants fit me so comfortably, and had the high waist of my dreams. While they are slightly pink in color–probably from the previous owner accidentally washing them with colored clothing–I think the tint adds extra character.

Outfit #2

Woman wearing purple, blue and white sweater vest with pearl necklace.
Original photo by Ava Kidd

Everything in this look other than the necklace and white button-up shirt is thrifted.

I call this look “grandma pimp.” While researching Harry’s outfits, I knew that I wanted to incorporate a sweater vest into my second look. I chose to button the undershirt lower to make the outfit a little less grandma and more masculine.

Like the button-up shirt in my first outfit, initially I wasn’t the biggest fan of this vest. After rummaging through Goodwill for nearly two hours, the only other sweater vests I could find were Christmas themed. 

Going back to this vest, I thought it was a little too plain for this article; compared to Harry’s black and yellow polka dot vest or navy blue sheep vest, it didn’t give justice to the type of look I envisioned. At the end of the day, I am happy with how it turned out.

I did not purchase the jeans during my Harry thrift, but I bought them from the same Goodwill a month prior. I just love the way that they fit, and I felt that the denim would look better with this look rather than the white bootcut pants from earlier.

Harry’s new album will be out on May 20 for anyone who wants to give it a listen. I, for one, can’t wait to see how brilliant “Harry’s House” will be! Until then, to more thrift shops we go.

Ava Kidd is a sophomore in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at PSU. She is double majoring in Public Relations and German. On weekends, you can find her either volunteering at the local cat rescue or solving sudoku puzzles!