Starbucks drink with pumpkins and mums
Starbucks drink with pumpkins and mums
Original photo by Emma Hogan

I Reviewed 5 Fall-Flavored Starbucks Drinks – Here’s How It Went!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Fall is upon us, everyone.

For some, it is a time to mourn, to grieve the warm summer days and evening sunsets that won’t be gracing us again for another seven months. We allow a moment of silence to remember the sounds of crashing waves and busy boardwalks, the feeling of the warm sun on our faces, and the absence of stress that we will surely miss throughout the semester.

However, it is also a time to celebrate. It’s time to embrace the soft sweaters, cozy blankets, and cool autumn breeze. Autumn is a time for pumpkin picking and Halloween movie nights, for football games and apple cider, for hayrides and walking to the sound of crisp orange leaves underfoot. As fall approaches, so does a much-needed reprieve from the heat. Backpack sweat and 90 degree walks to class are replaced with hats and scarves on a brisk autumn morning. And finally, with fall comes Starbucks’ inevitable return to the limelight. Pumpkin spice season is here.

With all of the hype centered around the classic pumpkin spice latte, it occurred to me that I never really tried many of Starbucks’ other “fall-flavored” drinks. So I decided to make it a mission to try five throughout a week and review them. I ended up with plenty of energy to power through my schoolwork and got to enjoy a few delicious drinks, so it was a win-win! Without further ado, my “fall-flavored” drink review in order of when I tried them:

Chai tea latte

Starbucks with notes
Original photo by Emma Hogan

Iced or hot, these babies are my personal go-to. I LOVE a good chai, and the touch of cinnamon flavor is just perfect for fall. On a warm September/October day, I absolutely recommend an iced chai latte to walk to class with, and as we head into the cooler months, there’s nothing better than putting on a cozy sweater and sipping at a warm drink while you study. You can get it with classic skim or 2% milk, but I also highly recommend oat milk for our vegan/lactose intolerant friends (or if you’re just not feeling dairy). Honestly, I could not recommend Starbucks’ chai tea lattes more. I might be a little biased, but I have to rate this one a 10/10. 

Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte

Emma with a Pumpkin Chai Latte
Original photo by Emma Hogan

INCREDIBLE. AMAZING. The love child of the PSL and chai tea latte. What could be better? I loved this one. I tried it hot, and I highly recommend it. Adding pumpkin flavoring to one of my all-time favorite drinks? An 11/10. It was sweet, creamy, and had the perfect consistency and flavor. Just enough cinnamon and pumpkin to not be overpowering but to create the perfect fall flavor. Incredible work, Starbucks.

Pumpkin spice latte

A classic. An icon. The epitome of fall. But here’s my hot take: this one is not a pure 10/10. Honestly, I can’t taste much of the sweet pumpkin flavor over the bitterness of the coffee. To me, it tastes the same as a regular latte. Since the introduction of the PSL, Starbucks has added fall drinks that I believe are simply better. Don’t get me wrong, the pumpkin spice latte is the OG, but the pumpkin spice CHAI latte is just better. And really, what parent doesn’t want to see their child improve on their mistakes?

The pumpkin spice latte walked so that the pumpkin spice chai latte could RUN. Coffee and pumpkin spice are fine together, but chai tea and pumpkin spice are just better. I have to give the pumpkin spice latte a 7/10 (also, this one was scorching hot for like fifteen minutes and burned my tongue, so maybe a 6/10 just for that).

Apple crisp macchiato

Apple crisp macchiato drink
Original photo by Emma Hogan

I enlisted my sister’s help for this drink since I’m not a fan of macchiatos, and she is. One sip was enough to tell me I hated this one, but I didn’t want to judge the drink too harshly. For people like me who like their drinks to be 80% sugar and 20% coffee, I give this one a 4/10. However, Grace tried it and rated it a 9/10 for those who enjoy a stronger coffee flavor. “It felt like I was drinking September,” she remarked.

This drink was a nice mix of strong coffee and caramel apple flavor for an extra caffeine boost. According to Grace, it had “the perfect amount of spice.” Just make sure to mix in the apple caramel syrup that tends to settle at the bottom. She didn’t at first and said it made a major difference in the flavor once she did.

Caramel apple spice

Last but not least, the drink that absolutely stole my heart. The caramel apple spice is a 20/10. Amazing. I honestly can’t believe I never tried this one before. The sweet caramel and whipped cream combined with the apple flavor was just perfect for fall. If you’ve never tried this one, I URGE you to head to your nearest Starbucks right now. And it’s perfect for any time of day since there’s no caffeine in this drink, making it ideal for warming you up on those chilly fall nights without worrying about messing up your sleep schedule.

Emma is a third-year Elementary and Early Childhood Education major at Penn State University. When she's not writing, you can usually find her singing, reading, painting, going on walks, hanging out with friends/her incredible boyfriend, and drinking iced chai lattes. Outside of Her Campus, Emma is the President of the Penn State Singing Lions, a Students United Against Poverty Ambassador, a member of the Phi Eta Sigma honors fraternity, and works at an after-school program.