This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I know what you’re thinking to yourself, “How could I be possibly taking my makeup off wrong?” All you have to do is just take it off. Well, good skin comes with good hygiene. If you’re wondering why the health of your skin isn’t where you’d like it to be, a lot of it could do with how you remove your makeup. 

Properly removing your makeup will enhance the clearness of your skin by an unimaginable amount. Small steps you wouldn’t think make a difference in your routine are crucial. I know life can get crazy, and a lot of times we can get lazy when taking off our makeup. But, almost every time this occurs, you wake up the next day feeling super guilty and more importantly, your skin feels betrayed.

Luckily, below is a step-by-step guide that shows you how to properly remove your makeup.

Step One: Find The Best Remover

Purchasing the right product that best fits your skin for removing your makeup is the foundational step of this whole process. Products that are great choices are: Garnier’s Micellar Water, Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Liquid Eye Makeup Remover, and Mary Kay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover.

Stay away from: Makeup removing wipes!

Step Two: Don’t Rub!

For an effective cleansing, rubbing your face is not the solution. That’s why makeup removal wipes are the enemy. The rubbing motion is extremely bad for your skin and can cause pre-mature wrinkles. Of course, nobody wants that. Instead, remove your makeup with cotton rounds in circular motions and bits of dabbing. Again, nothing too harsh that could potentially damage the skin.

Step Three: Use Warm Water Instead Of Cold

Cold water tightens the pores and catches all that bacteria from your makeup. Therefore, experts recommend using lukewarm water. This is because if you wash your face with water that is too hot, it can strip that natural layer of oil that helps keep your skin moisturized. Instead, warm water will open up your pores and allow the cleanser to soak up any of the makeup from that day.

Step Four: Use A Second Remover

Using a second remover is a crucial step to effectively remove your makeup. Makeup remover gels or balms are perfect options to get all of that excess makeup off that the liquid remover could’ve possibly missed. Great products to use are: Clinique’s Take the Day Off Cleansing Bomb Makeup Remover and Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Meltaway Cleansing Balm.

Step Five: Get All Those Crevices!

It might seem silly, but make sure you’re getting all the nooks and crannies when removing your makeup. Easy spots to miss are the sides of your nose (a great place where pimples can form), by your hairline (where foundation can linger) as well as the corners of your eyes. Make sure to double check all these places because they’re easy to miss.

Step Six: Finish off With A Cleanser Of Your Choice

Once you have successfully removed all your makeup, it’s now time for a facial cleanser. Everyone has their favorite, but here are some highly recommended brands that are excellent choices: Cetaphil’s Gentle Skin Cleanser, CeraVe’s Foaming Facial Cleanser, and La Roche-Posay’s Hydrating Gentle Facial Cleanser.

Vanessa Hohner is currently a first-year student minoring in Journalism at Penn State. She loves all things writing and has a special place in her heart for reality TV.