This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Summer 2022 internship applications are dropping every day and time is running out to secure your dream internship. During this stressful and exciting time, I think it’s time to talk about the competition involved in landing a position. Internships have always been a competitive process, but over the past few years it has only gotten harder. 

Remote work is at an all time high due to COVID-19, making it easier to apply to jobs all around the world. Having the ability to work right from the comfort of your own home means there are many positions available globally. However, along with these awesome global opportunities, chances are that you’ll run into some steep competition. Never fear though, you are completely capable of demonstrating your top-notch skills and qualifications.

Penn State offers numerous resources to help you nail down a summer internship position… for free. Take advantage of all of these resources that Penn State has to offer.

Penn State Career Services should be your first stop. Scroll through their website because they really do have all the support and help you’ll need. If you need to reserve an interview room because your apartment is too loud or you don’t have a good backdrop, they have you covered. Bring what you need and they will give you a private and quiet spot to get through your interview.

Penn State Career Services also offers the time of qualified employees who will sit down and have a mock interview with you. These trained individuals will help prepare you for the tough interview questions you could be faced with. You can even have someone look over your resume and cover letter to give you tips and advice.

Career Services has a list of events on their website that you should definitely take advantage of. Some of these include: free professional headshot events, resume workshops and even professionals that come to Happy Valley to explain what they are looking for in applicants. 

If you land an interview and don’t have professional clothes to wear, the Professional Attire Closet on campus at the Bank of America Career Services Center has everything you may need. Just bring your Penn State ID and you can borrow professional clothes to take headshots in or look spiffy during an interview. 

Working women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Unsplash

If you need a laptop with a camera on it or a camera to take your own professional headshots, head to Media and Technology Support Services on campus. You need to make an appointment online, but you can reserve equipment and devices just because you’re a Penn State student.

LinkedIn Learning is a program that requires a paid subscription, but Penn State students have free access during their four years in Happy Valley. LinkedIn Learning allows users to take as many courses and lessons as you can to become certified and qualified within different aspects of your industry. These certifications and qualifications can be posted on your LinkedIn and noted on your resume to make yourself shine.

Different colleges on campus typically host their own job and involvement fairs throughout the year. For example, the Bellisario College of Communications hosts two job and internship fairs during the spring semester. Both of these fairs are offered in-person and virtually. This is a great opportunity to go out and make connections in the industry and see what companies are hiring. It’s never too early to start looking into careers and these events are a great way to practice. Scroll through your college’s homepage to see what events they have coming up. 

You can access these resources at your convenience and by appointment, so take advantage of what is right at your fingertips to help better yourself and get the job of your dreams!

Isabella Hunter is a Junior majoring in Advertising with a Digital Media Trends and Analytics minor. She has a strong love for the beach, blogging, and iced coffee.