How To Enjoy A Solo Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Thanksgiving is coming up, which means most of us are mentally preparing for the endless personal questions from our extended family that are bound to be brought up during this holiday season. 

But flights can get expensive, so you might be thinking about staying at your apartment and waiting to go home a couple weeks later for winter break. 

With Thanksgiving being one of the most social holidays, it’s understandable to feel lonely if you do choose to spend it by yourself. But that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy the week-long break and festivities that come with Thanksgiving.

plan your week

Just because it will be a party for one doesn’t mean you can’t plan out your week and Thanksgiving meal.

It can be fun to plan out the day or week, even if it’s the plan consists of what you want to watch or what takeout food you plan to order. 

don’t skip out on decorating

I love decorating for the holidays. Not only do the decorations make me happy, but doing the shopping for everything is enjoyable too.

It livens up your home so you feel less lonely when the holiday does come. It will also help make you feel like you’re celebrating and it’s not just another day. 

feast for one

Since you’re by yourself, you don’t have to worry about what others might want to eat. You can enjoy all of your Thanksgiving favorites instead. You’re able to have a meal that’s catered only toward you.

Or if you want to relax during this break and skip on all the cooking, splurge on takeout of whatever you please. Whether that’s a traditional Thanksgiving meal or your favorite fast food, it’s all up to you.

Treat yourself to a relaxing day

You have a whole week to yourself in a small town when half the people are gone. You can take advantage of the quiet and go for a walk downtown or find a secluded park to get some fresh air.

If your ideal relaxing day is staying inside with pajamas on and watching your favorite show, go for it. You have nowhere to be, no people to see and nothing that needs to be done; take the time to do whatever it is that you want to do.

Watch Thanksgiving-themed episodes

Many shows have a specific holiday they choose to do an episode on every season that becomes their staple. If you’re sitting on your couch this Thanksgiving and not feeling very festive, these shows can make you feel as if you’re sharing the holiday with them.

The number one show I recommend for Thanksgiving specials is “New Girl.” This show is genuinely funny and the found family dynamic of the main group is comforting to watch, especially during the special Thanksgiving episodes.

They do multiple Thanksgiving episodes throughout the series, and maybe your plan for Thanksgiving can be binging all of them.

Shows such as “Gossip Girl” and “Modern Family” also have Thanksgiving episodes that I believe are a must-watch for the holiday. 

Acknowledging your loneliness is important but just remember that thousands of other people will be celebrating alone as well. While being alone is stereotyped as negative, it is a good time to recharge and relax.

Whether you spend this holiday surrounded by family or relaxing and enjoying your own company, have a happy Thanksgiving!

A third-year student at Penn State studying English with a passion for Journalism. When she is not writing, she is making Pinterest boards, painting, curled up with a good book or listening to Taylor Swift!