penn state
penn state
Ashley Quinones

How to Celebrate a Penn State-Themed Super Bowl Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Super Bowl Sunday is quickly approaching and the watch party planning is in full swing.

If you are a Penn State football fan, preparing for a football game is nothing new to you as you’ve probably been doing it most of your college career (and possibly your life). Whether you are watching the big game, the halftime commercials or the anticipated Taylor Swift shots, you are likely doing it with friends and family at a watch party.

If you are feeling nostalgic about watching Penn State football while looking for a way to make your watch party stand out, here are some tips to make the game feel like you are watching another Nittany Lion victory in Beaver Stadium.

Blue and white decor

If you do not have strong feelings about the Kansas City Chiefs or the San Francisco 49ers, do not waste money on red decorations (let’s face it, they might remind you of some certain unfavorable Buckeyes).

Opt for “We Are” signs, blue and white streamers and plates with the Nittany Lion emblem on them. In addition to the decor, throw on your favorite Penn State football jersey.

Penn state themed food

Whether your watch party is indoors or outdoors, you can still prepare the same tailgate foods you would if you were located in Happy Valley. Some options may include Middlewarth’s chips, a chicken finger basket or grilled stickies.

If you don’t have access to these Penn State delicacies, you can always opt for blue and white cupcakes, blue and white m&m’s or even blue and white baked goods if you are talented with food coloring.

Of course, no Penn State-themed party is complete without ice cream in front of the Berkey Creamery, so make sure to grab Alumni Swirl or Peachy Paterno to top off the Penn State food selection.

Create a beaver stadium playlist

If the singer is not your music taste, a rendition or two of “Sweet Caroline” before the game starts or during halftime can transport you back to Beaver.

Also, incorporating the chants of the student section and the Blue Band when the team you are rooting for does something positive can add more Penn State themed excitement if you are among fellow Penn State fans.

Root for the nittany lions

There are currently three former Nittany Lion alumni playing in Superbowl LVIII.

Ji’Ayir Brown was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 2023 and his teammate, Kevin Givens, was drafted in 2019.

Donovan Smith will begin playing for the Kansas City Chiefs and has been with them since 2023.

If you’re not betting money on one team beating the other, just root for these former Nittany Lions while watching the big game.

While we all probably wish we were watching from the Beaver Stadium or rooting for our players in their basic blues, you can still bring the Penn State nostalgia to your Superbowl watch party.

I hope you find some inspiration from these tips on how to craft a Penn State-themed Super Bowl party that is worthy of a “We Are” chant.

Sydney is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Digital Media Trends & Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys reading, trying new recipes, sports, and discovering new places to visit.