This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The most dreaded day of the year is coming up, February 14th. If you happen to have a significant other, you most likely have special plans for the occasion. But if you happen to be single, you are just waiting for the day to be over.

I have only recently been able to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a significant other, but before last year I was flying solo. During those solo years, I tried my best to ensure that I did not feel lonely that day. I focused on what I did have instead of what I did not, and the one thing I always had was myself. So, here are some ideas on how you can be your own Valentine.

1. Buy Yourself Flowers

I have not met a single person who does not like getting flowers as a gift. Whether they are male, female, non-binary, everyone enjoys the surprise of flowers.

It is no surprise that Valentine’s Day is the busiest day for florists and flower shops. I know buying yourself flowers takes away the element of surprise, but that should not discourage you. Buying yourself flowers is an excellent way to treat yourself, and they are a good decoration for any space.

If you do not like the idea of getting flowers that are going to die soon, try planting some in a pot. Whether you grow herbs, ferns, succulents, or real flowers, adding a few plants to your Valentine’s day is a good way to celebrate.

2. Buy Yourself Chocolate

Buy the chocolate before, or buy it after when it is discounted and cheaper. Don’t like chocolate? Buy your favorite candy, ice cream, snacks, desserts — the choice is yours! Do not worry about your diet or meal plan on the holiday. One treat will not hurt your progress, so buy a nice treat for yourself because you deserve it.

3. Have Your Favorite Meal

Is there some takeout that you want to try or a beloved recipe that is delicious every single time? Valentine’s day is a great excuse to have that meal for yourself. Or, if you have been scrolling Pinterest and saving hundreds of recipes, pick one out and try it. If it goes well, you made yourself a great meal for the occasion.

If it goes south, who doesn’t love pizza?

4. Watch Your Favorite Movie

Dust off the old DVD player and put in your favorite childhood DVD. Or stream a season of a TV show that you love while eating the meal you just got or prepared for yourself. Nothing is more relaxing than winding down from a long day of seeing couples everywhere and putting on anything but a rom-com (unless you prefer that, of course).

5. Have An Anti-Valentine’s Day Party

Get all your single friends together — no couples allowed. Dress in whatever colors you want, make a fancy charcuterie board and throw on some Taylor Swift heartbreak songs. Make the theme whatever you want, but I vote for an “every holiday but Valentine’s Day” theme.

6. Practice Self-Care

Whatever self-care means to you, do it. A complex skincare routine, a candle-lit bath, reading a book, doing some breathing meditation or anything you want really.

Personally, I would start with a nice long bubble bath, then do a face mask, put on warm pajamas, then enjoy some quesadillas in front of a good Marvel movie. Self-care is great because it is really about whatever makes you feel good.

7. Buy Your Friends or Family Valentine’s

If you cannot be the receiver, try being the giver. My dad has gotten me something for Valentine’s Day for most of my life. Whether it’s chocolate or a fruit basket, it always makes me feel better about the day.

If you have some friends or family members in your life that you know will not be getting anything, get them something small as a gift. They will surely appreciate the thoughtfulness.

8. Volunteer

Like I said before, if you cannot be the receiver, be the giver. Volunteering is a wonderful thing to do, and why not spend your Valentine’s Day giving back to your community? You can volunteer at a senior center, a food bank, a children’s center or even a humane society if you rather spend the time with animals than people (understandable).

Making the time to volunteer on the holiday can help you feel less alone while giving back in a significant way.

9. Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This one is for the girls and the girls only. Female friendships are so important, so why not celebrate them? The official day for Galentine’s Day is February 13th, but no one says it can’t be elebrated the day after. Plan a girl’s party, a girl’s day or even a girl’s trip.

If you are looking for an excuse to get the girls back together, this is the perfect day to do it.

10. Write & Reflect

If nothing listed above sounded appealing to you, the least you can do for yourself is this one. Write things down, but not just anything. Sticking with the theme of the holiday, write down what you love. Write down who you love (friends, family, idols), write down where you love or write down how you want to be loved. Even write down everything you loved about last year.

While this is similar to saying what you are thankful for at the Thanksgiving table, this can be more intimate and private with just yourself. Writing down what you love can give you the chance to have a healthy reflection on the holiday.

If you are single on Valentine’s day, do not sweat it. Love what you do have, which is yourself, because taking care of yourself first is essential for any relationships you may have in the future.

Sydney is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Digital Media Trends & Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys reading, trying new recipes, sports, and discovering new places to visit.