Style

How Switching to the Middle Part Was a Game Changer For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I had a side part. However, the middle part has made a major comeback and everybody has made the switch from side to middle.

However, I was always against it.

“I am not doing a middle part, I will look so dumb,” is what I used to say to my friends. They all begged and begged, but I was convinced I would never do the middle part.

I am constantly flipping my hair and playing with it so, in my mind, trying a middle part would be pointless. I have been a side part girl since I can remember and I loved it. 

My natural part, like the majority of people, isn’t in the middle. Whenever my friends tried to part my hair in the middle just to see what it would look like, my hair just wouldn’t cooperate. 

If you have tried to part your hair in the middle when you’re a side part girl, you know what I’m talking about. 

For those of you who haven’t tried, it usually won’t stay flat and just poofs up. One movement and it will flop right back to the side, at least for my hair. 

For sorority recruitment I had to wear a blazer and all of my sisters were talking about doing their hair in a middle part. I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I figured that I would give the middle part one more shot. 

I wasn’t obsessed with my side part and the blazer so I figured I would try something new. If it didn’t work, I could try something else. 

After about 15 minutes of flat ironing my roots, I finally got my hair to stay down. 

I got my hair to be parted in the middle, a miracle! 

To say I was pleasantly surprised was honestly an understatement. I always say how I think I look like I’m 5 years old, but the middle part made me look so much older.

To be honest, my friends say that it changed how I look. Everyone noticed there was something different about me, and it was the way I parted my hair. 

Being someone who was so against the middle part trend, I can honestly say that I was wrong. I wish I made the switch earlier. 

The side part vs middle part debate is all over Tik Tok. Tik Tok users are saying that millennials are using middle parts and older people use side parts. 

However, I don’t deem that to be true. Speaking as a college student that switched only a few weeks ago, I didn’t make the switch because Tik Tok told me side parts weren’t in style. I made the switch because I wanted to.

Personally, I love the middle part but I made the decision to switch on my own. If you love your side part, you go girl!

Keep it. Don’t change because people are telling you to. 

You are beautiful just the way you are. 

Communications, Sophomore
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.