etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Survive the Summer Without Your Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

She’s your best friend and the person you just so happen to live with. Whether you met on Facebook, at a party, or because of mutual friends, you have no idea what you’re going to do without each other once the summer begins. After all, summer is supposed to be the best time – no classes, no stress… but no roommate? Here are some ways to make that missing piece of your life not so empty.

Text Each Other

Chances are you are already texting daily, but it never hurts to text more. Your hilarious inside jokes are something that no one else will understand, and sometimes you just want to tell someone how you, “remember that one time.” Remind her why you’re the two best roomies by sending her that embarrassing picture or Snapchat.

Start a Netflix Series

If you bonded over the last seasons of Gossip Girl or 90210 in your dorm, why not try another series just as worthy somewhere else? Even though you won’t be sharing a pint of Ben and Jerry’s or a box of tissues when your favorite character leaves the show, you know that your roommate, wherever she is, will be watching the same thing. To make it even more like it used to be, try FaceTiming. Just make sure you don’t spoil anything for each other, and your weekly Netflix date will be perfection.

Do Things Together…But Separate

Try that new yoga class that you and your bestie always said you would do during the school year, but never had the time to do. The possibilities are endless for the new things you can try. Just because there is a greater distance between the two of you doesn’t mean there has to be a greater distance emotionally. Your relationship might even grow stronger since you’ll appreciate the time you spend with them more.

Skype

Need help finding that perfect dress for a date that night? Skype your roomie. She will always be honest and tell you what your overprotective mother can’t. If she’s close enough, she might even be able to let you borrow something from her closet.

Spend Time With Your Family

Just because you’re away from one of your favorite people doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with your other favorite people: your family. You haven’t spent more than a few long weekends and last summer with them. Go hiking, boating or even shopping together to show them that you really miss spending quality time together.

Start a New Hobby

With so much happening during the school year, it’s easy to lose sight of what you enjoyed doing without school work. Start something new or continue something old you lost sight of. Rekindle your love for photography, tennis or even running.

Don’t Forget About Your Friends From Home

Even though college has allowed you to find so many new people you couldn’t imagine your life without, you will still always love your hometown friends. You can talk on the phone for countless hours, but it’s never the same as being in person with them. When you go back, you pick up right where you left off and know that no matter what, they will always be there for you.

Visit

Nothing’s more exciting than a summer road trip. If you can, visit your roommate. You have lived together for the last two semesters or even more. It’s weird not seeing her face everyday, but you can make it easier if you visit a couple times before school starts again. Whether you plan to surprise your roommate or let her know you’re coming, she will be happy either way. If it’s true roomie love, it will be like you never left.

Photo Credits: 1

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.