How To Stay Healthy Before THON 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As Penn Staters, we’re about to begin one of the greatest weekends of the entire year — THON 2017 is right around the corner. If you haven’t begun already, it’s time to start taking few extra steps each day to ensure you feel happy and healthy the moment you enter the BJC.

Cut the unhealthy substances

Whether it’s 2 a.m. junk food or that extra glass of wine before bed, it’s super important to start cutting back on the stuff that’s just not that great for you. And while none of these items will do much harm in moderation, it’s a different story this week. You’ll be surprised how much better you’ll feel THON weekend if you stick to nutritious foods and drinks this week.

Exercise Well

Working out a few times this week will help prepare your body for the daunting job of standing for way longer than you’re normally used to. If you can make it to the gym after your Tuesday/Thursday class, great — however, don’t freak out if your schedule’s just too busy to fit in a full workout. The littlest things count in this area — walking to Forum instead of taking the bus and taking the stairs to get up to your apartment are all little steps that will make a big difference in how your joints feel.

Stretch your muscles periodically

Taking a few moments to stretch it out shouldn’t just be limited to THON Weekend. Stretching even just after you wake up and before you go to bed each night will help prevent your muscles from tensing up unexpectedly during your shift. Little exercises like rubbing your feet with tennis balls and using a muscle roller on your legs will also help stop any excess pain while you stand.

Sleep as much as possible 

This final week is often one of the most hectic times of the school year for many THON volunteers, but try not to forget the importance of taking a good snooze. If you know you have a lot of work this week, plan ahead and try to finish the bulk of your list as early in the day as possible. However, if a late night is inevitable, a short power nap between classes will help keep your energy levels up.

Drink more water than you think you need

This might be the most important item on your to-do list — if you think you’re drinking enough water, drink two more glasses on top of that. In the midst of a crazy schedule, staying hydrated is extremely easy to forget if you’re not careful. Drinking water is the key to feeling alert and avoiding headaches and other unpleasant symptoms while you’re at THON.

Take care of yourself this weekend, collegiates. And most importantly, have a fantastic THON Weekend! FTK!

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.