How To Spot The Signs Of An Eating Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Body positivity has been a hot topic recently. Women everywhere are learning to accept themselves for who they are and advocating for others to do the same. This is an extremely important movement, but during this time, it is also important to remember that many will continue to struggle with body image after years of being told we should fit a certain “look.” Self-esteem is complicated, and while it’s easy to tell yourself that you love your body, it’s not always as easy to believe it.

Every day, girls of all ages look into the mirror and hate what they see because it doesn’t check off all the boxes on the list of things we think we must look like. Some women use this as motivation to eat better or exercise to take care of themselves and be healthy. Unfortunately, some people are negatively affected to the point where they turn to other methods.

In the U.S., eight percent of the population has some form of eating disorder. The most common being anorexia and bulimia, and most of them are not receiving the treatment or support they deserve. 95 percent of these people are between the ages of 12 and 25, but even young girls are worried about their weight. 42 percent of first to third grade girls wish they were thinner, and 81 percent of ten-year-olds have an active fear of being “fat.”

Obviously, we’d love to help all these people, but the problem is that eating disorders aren’t always obvious. They come in all shapes, sizes and genders (about 10 percent of people with eating disorders in the U.S. are men). Many people with eating disorders are not underweight or overly skinny, but that does not mean that they are healthy. Anorexia and bulimia wreak havoc on your body and can even result in death, so it is crucial to reach out to those around you and help them when they are in need.

Some of the signs of an eating disorder are:

-Sudden weight loss

-Obsession with dieting and exercise

-Only eating in a private setting

-Trips to the bathroom following meals

-Wearing overly baggy clothes

-Eating slowly, cutting food into small pieces, not finishing normal portion sizes

-Strong reactions to comments about eating, weight, exercise (whether the comments are about them or those around them)

-Being more tired than usual

-Feeling cold more than usual

It is easy to think your friend is losing weight in a healthy way when they’re counting calories and watching what they eat, but there’s a point where it becomes an obsession and starts to negatively affect their life. If you’re not sure, try to start a conversation with them anyway. There is never a bad time to tell your friend that you care about them. Even though it might be awkward, it’s important to reach out to them to express your concerns and get them the help that they need. It is also very important not to make them feel attacked or blamed. During this time, they will need support and to feel loved and accepted for who they are. UHS and CAPS both offer help in these situations, so please feel free to contact them.

For more information on eating disorders, please visit NEDA: The National Eating Disorder Association.

Sources

http://www.avalonhillsfoundation.org/blog/2015/02/7-powerful-statistics-about-eating-disorders/

http://www.nedc.com.au/recognise-the-warning-signs

Photo credit: 1

Lindsay Miller is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Media Studies. She enjoys spending her time sleeping, eating, and watching Netflix, usually with her kitten, Kiwi, lying in the most inconvenient spot possible.  She also enjoys reading and writing until she gets frustrated and erases everything. If you want to get in her good graces, bring her a milkshake.     
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.