Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Talking At Holiday Party
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Plan the Most Festive Night In With Your Boo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The holiday season is upon us which means it’s time for all things merry and bright! Unfortunately, this year we can’t participate in any large festive events, but we can still make the best of this holiday season. A cozy night in with your boo is the best way to safely celebrate. Here are all the essentials you need for a festive date night.

Dress Code

Sweater weather is here, and you know what that means. It’s time to break out your ugly Christmas sweater and your fuzzy socks. If you want to take it to the next level, shop for some matching pajamas. This holiday season I will be making my boyfriend wear matching Santa Claus PJs with me whether he likes it or not. Dressing festive is just the first step to start feeling the holiday cheer.

Cookies

The holiday season would simply be incomplete without baking cookies. Each year, I love searching Pinterest for new creative cookie recipes. You could also pick up some cookie dough from the grocery store if that’s more your style. Feel free to debate me, but I stand by the fact that raw cookie dough is just as good if not better than the actual cookie. After they’ve baked, the taste of a warm cookie fresh out of the oven is so heavenly and an amazing treat for you and your SO. Once again, to kick the cookie baking up a notch, the two of you could also use some festive cookie cutters and go wild with the cookie decorating.

Movies

Before your festive date night, brainstorm together a list of your favorite holiday movies. I personally recommend Elf, Home Alone and The Grinch. Creating a list of movies in advance will eliminate the time wasted scrolling through Netflix trying to make a decision. Cuddle up on the couch, and enjoy your movie marathon all night long!

Hot Chocolate

Nothing is more cozy and comforting than a warm mug of hot chocolate stuffed with marshmallows. It’s the perfect beverage to sip on while making your way through your movie list. This year, I plan on making those hot chocolate bombs that have flooded my For You Page on TikTok. To create these bombs, you need to put some melted chocolate in an open dome-shaped silicone mold. Once the chocolate has hardened, add in the hot chocolate powder and marshmallows then put two domes together to make a sphere chocolate bomb. Drop the bomb in some warm milk, and watch it explode into some hot chocolatey goodness.

Playlist

Create a joint playlist of all of your favorite holiday songs. You can have an entire holiday sing-along dance party in the kitchen while making all of your tasty treats. No one can resist smiling when they hear All I Want For Christmas Is You, Santa Tell Me, and Last Christmas. I also highly recommend the Cheetah Girls Christmas album. This album is incredible and does not get the respect it deserves.

The holiday season is all about showing love and kindness to the people around you. Show your partner some love and get festive this year. Happy holidays Penn Staters! 

Jackie Maese is a senior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications and Theater Studies. If she's not writing at her laptop, you can probably find her cooking up a masterpiece, petting a dog, or eating a New Jersey bagel.