This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Online shopping is certainly one of the best things ever invented, especially for those who live in small towns where the store selection is not the best. There is a wide variety of items, and you can buy from the comfort of your home. What could be better?

However, many girls struggle to buy everything they want without spending all their money. There are simple tricks that can help you let your inner fashionista shine without losing your rent money. Here are a few tips on how to online shop on a budget: 

Sales

Sales are lifesavers for every fashionista on a budget. Most of the time, what we want to buy is not on sale (of course). If you decide that you don’t want to buy it for the full price, there is a trick you can try. Some online stores have the option to save items once you create an account. You can add the items that are too pricey and check again in a few days or weeks to see if the item has been put on sale. 

Also, make sure that you keep track of your favorite online stores. Some stores often have huge sales – and even site-wide sales. This is the best time to buy that pricey dress you once left behind. 

Discount Codes

Discount codes can be life savers. There are many promotions that we may not be aware of when shopping, and, therefore, it is possible to save a lot of money if you know the right codes to use. There are a few platforms you can use when buying online. Try installing either Wikibuy or Honey. These are extensions you can add to your computer, and whenever you are checking out at your favorite store they test all discount codes available to make sure you are buying at the best price.

Wikibuy: https://wikibuy.com/

Honey: https://www.joinhoney.com/feed

Free Shipping

Have you ever been annoyed when the shipping costs are the same price as that cute shirt you wanted to get? I know, it is so annoying. However, in many online stores, it is possible to get free shipping when you are spending a certain amount of money. Sometimes this amount may be a bit over your budget, but there is a simple solution: shop with friends. If you can get one or two friends to shop with you, you can all check out in one person’s account and get the amazing free shipping.

Shopping List

The worst part about online shopping is when you decide to buy one pair of shoes and end up finding out $500 worth of other items you absolutely need. There are a couple of different ways to avoid this from happening.

Before going shopping, make a list of everything you want to buy and how much you are willing to spend in total. Once you finish adding items to your cart, take the list you previously made. Check if all the items you wanted are in your cart and check if the final price is not passing the limit you’ve set before. Adjust your cart accordingly. Make sure you add the items on your list, and, if there are more, that you are not passing the limit. 

Time is Money

Another way to make sure you don’t buy too much is to split your shopping in two days. Once you finish adding the items to your cart, close the tab and check it again in 1-3 days. You may change your mind once you look at the cart again, and – hopefully – remove a few items.

I hope these tips help you shop for everything you want while staying on your budget! 

Ana Clever is a junior at Penn State University majoring in Psychology. Coming from Sao Paulo, Brazil, she is a staff writer for Her Campus at PSU and the president of the Brazilian Student Association. She is passionate about traveling, art, and writing. You can find her on Instagram at @ana_clever.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.