Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Not Suck On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Being alone on Valentine’s Day is never fun, but it’s especially upsetting when you have a partner far away from you. Being in a long-distance relationship is hard enough, but seeing other couples celebrating this day full of love can definitely provoke some sadness.  

However, there are ways to make Valentine’s Day not so terrible when you’re in a long-distance relationship. In the end, there is always love in the air, no matter how far away you are.

Send a love package

It doesn’t have to be a big package. Just a teddy bear, some candy, a card and anything else you want to put in it would be a great way to put a smile on your honey’s face. If you can’t show your love in person, sending it in a box is just as special.

If you don’t want to send a whole package, send a love letter

Love letters may be old-fashioned and perhaps a little corny, but who ever said corny wasn’t cute? I would be in a puddle of tears if my boyfriend sent me a surprise love letter just to tell me how much he loves me. It would certainly be a way to make your partner smile on Valentine’s Day.

Have a nice dinner…over a FaceTime call

Dinner alone on Valentine’s Day isn’t a good time. If you’re gonna scroll through your phone anyway while you eat, why don’t you videochat your partner? If you stand your phone up against a box or a surface similar to that, it will feel like your partner is right across the table from you. I am very much looking forward to my long-distance dinner with my boyfriend with my fancy meal of pizza and soda.

Whether you want to be fancy or not, it would still be an adorable way to feel close to your partner.

Friends make everything better

If it all gets too sad and lonely, there’s always the option to have a movie or wine night with your friends. Fun times with your favorite people always make sad times a little happier. Who knows: maybe they’re a little lonely on Valentine’s Day and want someone to hang out with.

Take a road trip to see them if you can

It may be an expensive, far trip to see your honey for the weekend, especially while in college. However, if you or your partner are able to make it work, it might be a romantic and fun time.

It doesn’t have to be right on Valentine’s Day. My boyfriend is coming to Penn State to see me a week after Valentine’s Day, and I have a weekend full of plans ready for us. That weekend also happens to be State Patty’s, so I’m taking him to his first ever Penn State party. I also plan to cook him dinner and take him to Pegula Ice Arena for skating. All of these things I plan to do with him are considerably cheap and fun.

Even though the trip can get pricey, it will be worth it.  

Have a good Valentine’s Day, Collegiettes!

I am a senior majoring in Digital and Print Journalism at Penn State University, so I absolutely love to write. I am originally from Easton, Pennsylvania (no I did not grow up in the Crayola Factory). I love to sing, and I am a huge Kelly Clarkson fan! I literally have every single Kelly Clarkson lyric in the history of ever memorized. On a normal day, you'll most likely find me cuddling with my dogs and watching Disney movies.