This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Happy Valley looks extra beautiful this time of year; leaves ricochet onto the pathways and fashionable students sport stylish boots and scarves. There are many things to love about the fall season: Homecoming, Halloween, and pumpkin spice lattes to name a few…but, another favorite activity worth adding to the list is hayrides! 

Many organizations on campus will sign up to enjoy a crisp autumn night on a hayride leading into the woods. You get to bond with fellow members, and potentially cuddle up with your date! Here are some tips to ensure a perfect night:

What to Wear:

Hayride style usually consists of flannels or sweaters, jeans, boots, and scarves. Many young fashionistas will get creative and wear beanies or other hats, vests (sometimes made of faux fur), and a stylish jacket. Boots are typically leather and distressed to go with the overall look of the season, but range from combat to riding styles. The outfit you wear will depend on the weather, so make sure to check the forecast before splurging on extremely cozy accessories! Although you have the bonfire nearby as well as your date to keep you warm, comfort is key to ensure you will have a good time.

Who to Ask:

Hayride is an event considered a dated function, so a member of an organization must ask a girl/boy of their choice. When choosing whom to ask if you are single, the most important thing is to pick a date that you are guaranteed to have a good time with. No one wants to be stranded in the middle of nowhere crying over his or her date. If you don’t have a romantic interest, take a friend. Or, if you are feeling spontaneous, have upperclassmen set you up with a date. You never know what this first date could lead to. Also, depending on whom you ask, you can think of cute creative ways to invite your date. For example, you can bake Pinterest-inspired s’mores cookies. 

During Hayride:

The hayride features live music from a folk band, grilled delicacies like hotdogs, hamburgers, and sausages, as well as all of the necessary ingredients to make the perfect s’mores. Make sure you take advantage of the free food (trust me, the line is worth it) and dance to the country music! Plus, although your date may be so gorgeous you don’t want to lose sight of him for a second, make sure to bond with your friends as well. The memories you make on dated functions will warm your hearts for years to come, and you only have one hayride per year! But, if your night goes even better than expected, your date may return the favor and invite you to his hayride for you to enjoy more fun, fall adventures.

‘tis the season to love hayrides…happy roasting!

Morgan Raphael is currently a sophomore studying Public Relations at The Pennsylvania State University.  She is an active member of the Greek community, serving on her executive board.  More than anything, Morgan loves school spirit and is so happy to be a Nittany Lion.  She loves writing and sharing her ideas and work with the nation through Her Campus and is so blessed to have such an awesome opportunity.  
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.