This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Before F45

Last year, similar for many people, was the roughest year of my life. The pandemic single-handedly took all the motivation I had, threw it on the floor and stomped on it. Everyday tasks such as going upstairs or walking my dogs became taxing because of the lack of movement and cardio I was getting in quarantine. All the muscle I had before the pandemic was pretty much gone by the time I returned to campus last fall. Not only was I feeling physically fatigued, but also emotionally. I was finding it hard to get the motivation to even get up and take a stroll downtown. Instead, I would stay in bed all day.

The turning point…

When February came around, I decided enough was enough. I was done with feeling unhealthy, so it was time to hit the gym. The IM Building was still appointment based and the rest of the campus gyms were closed around this time, so I started a search for gyms downtown. I also wanted to go to a place where I would have guidance to learn proper form and movements.

Finding out about F45

When I first stumbled upon F45, I was hesitant. Doing workouts in intervals sounded tough, especially for a beginner. Learning that they had weightlifting days scared me even more. I was always the girl who avoided the weight room at gyms, so this was all nerve-racking to me. However, I am not the type to run away when things seem tough, so I decided to sign up for a trial.

What is F45, exactly?

F45 is a HIIT-based gym that provides effective and fun cardio and resistance training. You will never see the same workout twice, which I find refreshing. Unlike other chain gyms (Orange Theory, CrossFit) that utilize cardio equipment, smith presses, circuit machines, etc., F45 is primarily free weight training. This forces you to learn proper form and leaves no room to slack off. F45’s welcoming atmosphere, bumping music and fun staff make working out less of a chore and more of a fun task.

Starting out

Going from laying around all the time to doing HIIT training every day was not an easy transition. I remember going into the first class with a “Pshhh, this will be a piece of cake,” mindset and leaving it with a “That was horrible, I am never doing that again,” mentality. I may have left some classes in the beginning feeling defeated, yet I kept coming back for more. The trainers also kept me motivated and cheered me on even when I was OBVIOUSLY struggling. After the first two weeks of getting through the initial soreness, my body was starting to slowly adjust to the workouts. 

Finding the motivation to keep going

One thing I did not realize when starting my journey is that you do not see physical results until 3 months into a routine and major results don’t start showing up until 6-8 months in. I was expecting to look toned and fit within the first month and when I did not see that happening, I felt defeated. This alone almost made me give up and wonder if it is worth the effort if I have to play a waiting game. However, I was feeling great. I was able to perform the workout tasks and was increasing the weight I used. I also really enjoyed the F45 classes and the bonds I made with the trainers. This is what kept me going. 

Fast forward to now

Almost 8 months later, I am in the best shape I have ever been in and it is truly all thanks to F45. I always look forward to attending classes and try to go every day. It is just mind-boggling to me that some of the skills I struggled to do the most in the beginning are easy for me now. I still have a lot of learning to do and struggle with certain workouts, but I am determined to try my best to master them down the road. Also shoutout to JR, Emily and Carolyn for calling me out when I stop working out before the timer is up. Y’all keep me in check.

For more information about F45 Training, visit their website https://f45training.com/statecollege/home

Sierra Cucciardi is a junior at Penn state majoring in Journalism.