How To Do Christmas Like A True Penn Stater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Thanks to an early Christmas miracle, our beloved Nittany Lions are heading to Pasadena to play in the Rose Bowl. For those of us who have been listening to Christmas music since November 1, this offers a an interesting dilemma – how can we cheer on the future Rose Bowl champs without our ugly red and green sweaters?

For those of you already knee-deep in wrapping paper, Christmas music and general holiday cheer, here is your step-by-step guide to celebrating the start of the holidays as a Nittany Lion fan!

1. As difficult as it may be to give up the amazing red and green combination, trade in your grandmother’s ugly sweater for one of these stylish pieces of wool!

Not even Santa’s elves could pull off this classic look.

2. Accessorize said sweater with an authentic Penn State-ified Santa hat.

Bonus points if you have a matching Christmas puppy

3. Since it’s pretty impossible to actually live in a gingerbread house, do the next best thing and make your own. Blue and white candy canes are mandatory!

Help remind the other teams that THIS IS OUR HOUSE.

4. Bring out ALL the blue and white tinsel.

Treat yourself to some new PSU ornaments and tree topper, and you’ve got yourself a tree Coach Franklin himself would be proud to have in the locker room.

5. Don’t forget to hang your (blue and white) stockings with care!

With a logo this big, Santa definitely won’t bring you coal. Those USC fans on the other hand….

5. Help enlighten the world to Penn State’s superiority with a fight-song themed Christmas light display.

If you aren’t technically savvy enough for this or lack the space in your dorm room, blue and white lights from Target are basically the same.

6. Time to break out the electric mixer and baking sheets. It’s Christmas cookie season!

This Saturday, pair with some hot chocolate in an “I LOVE PENN STATE” mug and it will almost feel like you are tailgating again. Almost.

7. After recovering from chaotic Black Friday shopping, take the time to buy the presents your family will actually appreciate.

Who needs socks when you have pillow pets and Penn State-opoly?

8. Coordinate in advance with your family members for the annual Christmas card photoshoot.

Don’t forget to sign each envelop with a heartfelt PS(I love)U!

9.  Instead of Christmas carols, serenade your entire apartment or dorm building with your best rendition of the Alma Matter and Zombie Nation.

Sure, it doesn’t have quite the same effect as Jingle Bells but at least you get the best of both the holiday and Penn State spirit. 

10. When all else fails, make sure to send the holiday season with the people you love the most.

Whether watching football or donning santa hats, we will always have our friends and family at Dear Old State to celebrate with.

Go forth and spread the spirit fellow Penn Staters!

Meghan McNicholas is a sophomore at Penn State from Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. She is planning on majoring in International Politics, History and French along with a minor in Arabic. Her love for creative writing, obsession with Buzzfeed and passion for bad jokes inspired her to apply for Her Campus last fall. Aside from Her Campus, Meghan is  also involved with the Pennsylvania State International Affairs and Debate Association, Penn State Relay for Life,  and Schreyer Student Council. Outside of writing, her passions include traveling, instagram captions, and eating ice cream while watching trashy reality TV shows. When she's not busy running between classes, you'll most likely find her waiting for a smoothie at Webster's, stopping in the middle of the street to pet cute dogs or trying to inform random strangers about the importance of political activism. After college, Meghan hopes to work pursue a Masters Degree and a career in the American Foriegn Service.
Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope