How to Be Safe this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This holiday season is going to be very different from holidays we have experienced in the past. With social distancing mandates put in order, some families may not be spending thanksgiving, hanukkah or Christmas with their loved ones. It is important to stay safe and aware when traveling throughout this time of year. This is new to everyone so everything will be looking a little different than what we are used to. 

I want to find ways that we can all have a safe holiday season while doing things that we are used to doing this time of year. Although large parties are no longer allowed there are many activities that we are able to participate in with friends and family in small groups with a respectful distance. 

Here is a list of 5 activities to do this holiday season with friends and family all with group of ten or less: 

1. Outdoor Ice Skating 

This is a great activity to plan with friends. Since this is an outdoor activity you are able to plan a larger group of people to spend time with. Outdoor activities are usually colder so it is also important to bundle up in warm clothes and wear your mask during the time you are outside together! 

2. Friendsgiving 

Another activity to do with friends before or after Thanksgiving would be to have a small friendsgiving dinner. Each of you can contribute your favorite dish and spend time in each other’s presence playing games while also staying safe. This is one event that a ton of people already participate in every year, but maybe just take it down a notch this year and be mindful of just how many friends will be at friendsgiving. 

3. Drive-in movie 

A Drive in movie would be a great activity to do with friends before it gets too cold outside. You can stay in your car and watch movies with your friends and family and stay a safe distance away from the other cars surrounding you. 

4. Attend a Tree lighting

Tree lightings are a great way to get into the Christmas spirit with your immediate family. These tree lightings usually occur within your hometown or local areas as well. While there may be some crowds, just keep an eye out for anyone who might not be prioritizing safety while getting into the festivities. 

5. Sledding, Skiing, or snowboarding 

These are great winter sports to plan with friends. My favorite way to spend my winter is by skiing with my family. I have been skiing since I was 8 years old and it’s a great way to spend your weekends in the winter.

6. Holiday Lights tour 

I love seeing all the different lights that families put so much hard work in for the holiday season. My Friends and I like to stay in our cars and drive past houses that are known for their holiday lights every year. While driving through neighborhoods to look at decorated houses is great, there are also a ton of places that offer light tours of their own and have festive displays set up for miles! 

7. Decorate gingerbread houses

This is a great activity to do with friends and family during the christmas season. You are able to make the decorating a competition and plan a great night in. Maybe pair this activity with your favorite holiday movie and some hot chocolate. 

8. Make a Snowman

When it finally decided to snow outside, me and my sister immediately decided to go outside and play in the snow. No matter how old you are or who you are with. This is truly the best way to spend a winter day. After that we usually go inside to warm up with some hot chocolate from my mom. 

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.