Style

Christmas Essentials to Make Your Space Cozier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As the holiday season approaches, it’s time to decorate. Whether you wait until after Thanksgiving or had your decorations up since November 1, there are many ways to make your space cozier. 

Some people embrace the traditional, nostalgic Christmas vibe, while others like a neutral, calming Christmas vibe.

Whether your vibe is more of a maximalist or minimalist neutral Christmas, Christmas decor should make you joyful and ready for the holiday season. To get your space in the spirit of the holidays, here are some fun pieces that could work in any space and lift your Christmas spirit.

garlands

A garland is always necessary for your space, it ties the Christmas tree to the other rooms in your house or apartment. Whether you like your tree to have colored or warm white lights, a garland with warm white lights goes perfectly. 

You could have a garland with decorations included on it or a plain pre-lit one. You can always add ornaments, bows, pinecones or any other decor you choose. The bow colors could tie in with a theme you are doing.

Christmas Village

A Christmas Village is a must for traditional Christmas decor. The fake snow, the little villagers that are caroling or cutting down their Christmas trees. These aspects add warmth to any space, especially when the little houses and shops are lit up.

Christmas Village Starter Pack

Christmas Village Houses

cozy stockings

Having unique stockings instead of all matching makes a space feel warmer and adds another decor element. You can take those stocking colors and match other decor elements in your area and still have it work seamlessly.

There are a lot of different types of stockings that can be personalized — they can be knit, a fun fuzzy one or whatever will show your personality best.

table top decor

A Glitter Truck is a fun but still neutral item that will look nice on any surface.

This Tree Assortment would add a fun element to your surfaces and still look nice but not too busy or crowded since there are no lights.

A table runner can be added to elevate an entryway table along with the figurines. You can choose a fun patterned one or a plain one that still has a Christmas feel to it.

Christmas pillows and blankets

Christmas pillows and throw blankets are an excellent way to cozy up your space with items you can use. A cute colorful throw blanket adds another element to your sofa that you can use daily mixed with matching pillows to really tie the space together.

Reindeer and Christmas Tree Knit Throw Blanket.

Or if you want a more plush and colorful blanket: Merry Christmas Red Pickup Truck Blanket.

Nordic Pine Christmas Tree Throw for a neutral but not completely colorless pillow.

Candy Cane Shaped Pillows are fun and make your space playful with another element/shape.

holiday Christmas Candles

Candles are a must for the holiday season. They can make your space feel more like home (especially if you are away from home) or just remind you of your childhood. Some go-to scents of the holiday season include:

Winter Wonderland

Holiday Forest Fir

Christmas Cheer

Christmas Cookie

All these items can be used throughout a house or an apartment to make all the rooms feel cozy and ready for the holiday season. No matter what your decorating style is, these items can be found in bright, colorful palettes or neutral colors to fit in perfectly with your existing decor.

Happy decorating!

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.