FNK Christmas Cheesecake Pops
FNK Christmas Cheesecake Pops
Food Network Kitchen
Wellness > Health

The Intersection of Your Health and the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

From October to January, there is an influx of holidays that are each surrounded by loads of food, sweets and treats.

The fall season, starting in October, is when pumpkin is basically the only flavor we talk about. Then, we have Halloween, where you can be tempted with candy left and right. As soon as Halloween is over, the Christmas cheer comes out in everyone. The day Starbucks starts using their holiday cups, everyone knows Christmas is coming. Thanksgiving is another one of the main holidays with plenty of food and dessert consumption, but it is mainly forgotten after Halloween.

This time of year is filled with so many parties, events, dinners, desserts and flavors that it is so easy to forget about your health routine. At least for me, I feel so deeply about not restricting myself, and I think balance is the most important factor when it comes to surrounding yourself with food that may not be considered healthy. 

Every new year, more and more people commit to a new healthy lifestyle after the downfall they may have had during the holiday season. As someone who has always struggled with body image, this time of year is specifically difficult for me because of all the events that took place in the past.

I would always feel judged by not only what I was eating but also by the things I was wearing. My family may not have realized it at the time that making these little jokes shaped me to become more conscious about what I eat around my family this time of year. I do not think about this anymore because I have discovered the mindset that cheat meals will not set back your progress.

It is so important to eat balanced meals. This mindset is what I stick to on a daily basis, not just during the holidays. I like to plan out meals for the week that are healthy in my eyes and enjoyable to me. When it comes to holiday parties no one should ever just eat a salad when there are also mashed potatoes to eat. Those are definitely worth it! 

If you have ever struggled with this type of feeling, you know how much debate may go into that one thought that you are about to do something that will affect how you look. These thoughts cause so much stress in one person and can sometimes become all one thinks about. 

It is so important never to let these thoughts run through your head. This is a time of the year meant to be spent with your family, eat good food, and make memories. I encourage everyone to live with this same mindset. It is not physically or mentally healthy to constantly think about the number of calories you are eating. I tell this to everyone I know, so I feel it is necessary to tell you too. 

Eat that cookie, eat that slice of pie and have as much pasta as you want. In the end, you will not be setting yourself up to fail. You will have yourself a delicious meal. 

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.