HBO’s Girls: Beginning of season 2 recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Like the rest of twenty-somethings around the world, I was (not so) patiently anticipating the second season premiere of HBO’s “Girls.” There were only so many times I could re-watch and re-tweet the season promos. Not only did last season leave viewers with multiple questions about the lives and relationships of Hannah, Marnie, Jessa, and Shoshanna but also a strange desire to eat wedding cake on the beach or even a cupcake in our friend’s bathroom. It happens.

It seemed like nothing that these girls were going through was solved during the last season; just a bunch of cliffhangers and open-ended questions. However, “Girls” isn’t the type of show that has that moment of realization at the end of every episode like Sex and the City or Grey’s Anatomy. I think that this type of ending mimics the lives of everyone in this generation. We’re all in the figuring-it-out stage and life itself is a giant cliffhanger. Who actually knows what going to happen tomorrow, next month, or even next year? It’s one of the reasons why I tune in every Sunday; it strikes a chord and seems so close to home. Because aren’t we all “almost getting it kind of together” but just a corner from getting it right? It’s always interesting to watch people live their daily lives but in this genre, you get to add your own personal narration so it seems. Any girl can connect to at least some part of each character. Whether it’s being stuck in a comfortable relationship like Marnie or having to find a temporary job to pay your rent when all you want to do is focus on your dream like Hannah.

Lena Dunham knew the connection she was making and it can be said that it is one of the reasons why HBO’s “Girls” won two Golden Globes for Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical and Best Actress in a Television Series, Comedy or Musical! Who else heard and loved Robyn’s “Dancing on My Own” playing as Dunham walked to accept the award?

With a crazy season finale consisting of a wedding, getting hit by car and the loss of virginity, it’ll be quite interesting to see the second season and how the cast’s lives and relationships evolve throughout. What will it mean to them and let’s be honest, how’s it going to affect us? I can’t be the only one who came to love Adam’s oddities, right?

The second season has already started and so far it seems that there are many twists, turns and bends. The questions from the previous season have been touched upon, but not completely answered as expected. The cast just continues to move along their daily lives. You have Hannah seeking happiness through different relationships. Marnie trying to figure life out without a boyfriend or job. Jessa and her new husband adapting to the married life.  And Shoshanna dealing with sex…finally.   

I can’t wait to see what Lena Dunham has in store for us for the rest of the season.  I’m sure we won’t expect it! All I can say is that the first episode itself gave me my new favorite quote, and one can only imagine what’s next!

“I’m an individual and I feel how I feel when I feel it.” – Hannah

Picture Credit

I'm a Junior Advertising and Japanese/Sociology Minor at Penn State University. Currently, a photographer for HCPSU. 
Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.