Style > Fashion

Halloween Costumes for Black Girls that Everyone Will Recognize

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As we approach “spooky season,” the lifelong dilemma of wanting a unique yet recognizable Halloween costume has returned.

If you’re stumped for ideas, like I am, here are some last-minute costumes you can recreate with stuff you already have in your closet.

Your Favorite Rapper

The 2020s are the decade of the female rapper. With new girls blowing up on a monthly basis, there are plenty of creative looks to choose from.

Ice Spice is known for her bright orange afro and tiny pleated skirts. Her calm, seductive voice juxtaposes her preppy and bright looks.

After blowing up from her song “Munch” last summer, she has performed at the BET awards, walked at the Met Gala and many more events with iconic looks to try and recreate this Halloween.

Flo Milli is known for her swoop bang and mini skirt sets. Her rise to fame can be credited to TikToks and stan Twitter edits.

Flo Milli has performed at Coachella and her career is still on the way up. She’s making her way in the rap industry with collaborations featuring other up and coming artists like Rico Nasty, Monaleo and Lola Brooke.

Sexyy Red’s signature look is a plain white tank top, True Religion Jeans, her staple black glasses and a red wig.

Sexyy Red appeared on the rap scene this year with her hit “Pound Town” and a remix featuring rap icon Nicki Minaj. Since then, she’s been collaborating with other artists and most notably featured on Drake’s latest album, “For All The Dogs.”

She’s currently on tour, which will provide a load of costume inspiration.

Iridessa: “Tinker Bell”

This costume can be a group project or a solo venture. Iridessa is a light talent fairy from the movies “Tinker Bell” and the “Legend of the Neverbeast.”

To achieve this look, wear any yellow skirt set or dress with yellow fairy wings. If you’re looking for a bit of Disney nostalgia for your costume, this might be a good place to start.

Ma: “Ma”

This costume is for the comedian of the group. What better way to steal the show this Halloween than by being Octavia Spencer’s show-stopping character from the 2019 film.

All you need for this costume is a short wig with a blunt bang, your best mom outfit and Ma’s signature slogan, “Don’t make me drink alone!”

Mercedes: “Glee”

Despite being off the air for almost a decade, Glee is still well known thanks to a resurgence in popularity on TikTok.

Mercedes trademark during the early seasons of the show are sure to make a great, funny Halloween costume.

Missy: “Big Mouth”

If you need a toned-down costume that’s not so much on the sexy side, try this one out.

Missy’s usual daily outfit consists of overalls and a bright yellow shirt. Accessorize with a thick headband to complete the look.

Cleo: “Outer Banks”

This costume can work solo, as a couple’s costume (if you have your own Pope to dress up with you), or a group of all the Pogues.

To get the Cleo look, I recommend a bikini top and denim shorts with either braids or your natural hair! Just be prepared to be a bit chilly if you plan on going out.

Veronica: “Shameless”

Veronica is the upbeat best friend of Fiona, the main character of “Shameless.”

Her signature look includes locs, which makes this costume perfect for you if you have locs.

Her typical outfits consist of short, tight and small pieces with trendy patterns and a lot of flashy accessories. I recommend shopping at Rainbow for an authentic feel.

To recreate these looks if they’re not in your closet already, and to make sure you receive them on time for Halloween, I recommend shopping on Amazon.

Happy Halloween!

I'm Xandra Adams-Dennis, I'm a third year digital and print journalism major with a digital media trending analytics minor. This is my first year writing for HerCampus. I'm from Mount Pocono, PA, I'm 20 years old and I love writing. I love to crochet and binge tv series in my free time.