This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As I am sure most students are aware, the world is currently going through a weird social transition. The current spread of COVID-19 has caused almost all colleges to switch to remote learning. Most student’s semesters were cut short and are now encouraged to stay home and practice social distancing. This time at home may not be what anyone expected to happen in 2020, but it is currently the only solution we have to stay safe. 

Coronavirus
Unsplash

It is important to avoid all the negatives of this situation and focus on the positives. We are all going through this together, and no one is alone. On a more positive note, this is the perfect time to take a step back and get yourself organized. You finally have no excuse to put off anything you have wanted to do for a while. While you are at home and self-quarantined, there is no better way to pass the time then to organize your schoolwork, room, and just take a mental breather and organize all the stress you may have been feeling lately.

Firstly, the transition to remote learning may be difficult for some more than others. Online classes take a lot of self-discipline. It is your job to make it your priority to time manage all the work you need to get done to finish off the semester. The best way to do this is to plan out everything. Using a planner and setting assigned dates for yourself is a way to make sure you get all work done by their assigned due date. If you still need another way to help remind yourself, you can use google calendar and set reminders for due dates on assignments. 

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay

The next phase of organizing yourself throughout this quarantine is in your home. Spring is just around the corner, and this is the perfect time to get ahead on your spring cleaning. I would recommend going through all clothes and making a ‘donate’ pile along with a ‘keep’ pile. If you are coming back from your college dorm, this may be necessary to go through the transition of living in your dorm room to back at home because this was definitely not expected by anyone.

floating wooden shelves full of books, art prints and other knickknacks
Vladimir Mokry | Unsplash

Lastly, this is also the perfect time to focus on you. Take time for yourself and think about things you may have been putting off because of the fast-paced life we have. Take on a new hobby and do something for yourself. Try not to stress during this hectic time in all our lives. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. Stay safe and wash those hands!

person washing hands
Burst

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.