This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Not everyone loves Valentine’s Day. It can serve as a reminder to single people that they don’t have a significant other to share the day with. It can feel even worse when it seems like everyone else is spending time with someone special and posting on social media.

Something that my friends and I have always done to avoid those negative feelings was celebrate Galentine’s Day: a fun take on the day of love where friends get together, have snacks and drinks, watch a movie or do a fun activity. 

It is time just for friends, so no significant others are allowed. It has become a tradition where everyone brings their own dish or drink, and we just spend quality time together. 

I think spending time with your friends is one of the most important parts of life. Friends are there for you when you need them most and always cheer you on. They will always be there to pick you back up when things get tough.

For me, a must-watch while I prepare for Galentine’s is season two episode of “Parks and Recreation” titled “Galentine’s Day.” It’s so funny and encapsulates the premise of the celebration: spending time with friends. 

I enjoy baking, so I always like to make some fun treats for my friends to enjoy on the holiday.

Some fun treats you could make for your friend group’s celebration this year are chocolate-covered strawberries or pretzels, chocolate-covered strawberry brownies, cookies or a heart-shaped red velvet cake. 

One year, my mom helped me make a bunch of mini cakes. They were so delicious, and I decorated them based on each of my friends’ personalities. 

It was fun to do, I contributed a dish and it made everyone feel special. Each of my friends had a cake just for them, decorated with their best qualities and interests in mind. 

I also really enjoyed making chocolate-covered strawberries and pretzels instead of buying them. I could decorate them how I wanted, and I used food coloring to make pink and red chocolate to fit the theme. 

Cookies and brownies are really easy treats that everyone loves to bring. Chocolate-covered strawberry brownies are a fun twist to a classic dish. 

Another super easy item is cannoli dip. It takes 10 minutes and it is always a crowd favorite. The hardest part is going out to buy the ingredients. 

If you’re not interested in prepping a whole dish, just bring some fun candy. Heart-shaped and pink candy is everywhere during February, so just stop on the way to the festivities and pick some up.

Letting people know you think of or care about them doesn’t have to take much effort, though.

The best part about Galentine’s Day isn’t the prep or comparing what you brought to other people. It is spending time with people you love.

My favorite Galentine’s Day was in 2022. It was a “Euphoria” Sunday, so we all brought our pink snacks and drinks and watched the newest episode together. It was a simple activity that we all enjoyed while getting to spend time together.

That’s the whole point of the holiday. Valentine’s Day is not just for people in romantic relationships; it is a day to let people know you love and care about them.

Valentine’s Day is such a special holiday to me because my family has always taken it to the max and gone out of our way to make sure everyone feels loved. And that’s why I take Galentine’s Day seriously.

I love my friends and will always be so thankful for the unconditional love and support they have shown me.

I encourage everyone to reach out to parents, grandparents, cousins, friends or anyone you care about this Valentine’s Day to show them you appreciate them. Maybe even host a Galentine’s Day of your own.

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.