From A Freshman: Why Convocation Ts Are Actually Kind Of Cool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Many have been wondering what the buzz is about the new t-shirts engulfing campus: the convocation tees.

Color-coded according to college, each student was given a free shirt upon their first day arriving on campus. Worn by almost every freshman at one point during the new semester, these tees have already endured some serious reactions by upperclassmen and have quickly been deemed embarrassing. Yik Yak is constantly being used as a resource to express such judgements and sometimes even freshmen try to get in on the action.       

Linked with lanyards and cargo shorts, the shirt was never initially seen as in style, but after we all realized we were wearing the same thing, it didn’t really matter. The majority of us just didn’t care the night of convocation what other people thought about our gift from President Barron. After all, it was free, and who doesn’t like a free shirt?

Not so surprisingly, something important can be noted here. Yes, it might be lame to wear a t-shirt clearly labeling you as a freshman, but so what? You are a freshman and everyone was at some point in their lives. Freshman year is one of the most exciting times of your life (or so I am told), and you should feel comfortable wearing whatever you feel, wherever you feel. No one should be telling you what is in style or outdated because college is all about expressing your own opinion and ultimately figuring out who you are by yourself.

Although, I will admit I didn’t receive my favorite color shirt, I’m still thankful that I could wear it with thousands of others, just like me, who might’ve thought the same thing. It was a moment I will never forget at the Bryce Jordan Center. It felt like we were all apart of something incredible, just beginning.

So wear them proud, freshmen. Because one thing we will always have that the upperclassmen don’t is 4 more years, and that’s something that no one can take away from us.

1. Oh yeah, I’m a freshman.

2. I have an Undergraduate Studies shirt. Am I mysterious enough now?

3. I’m gonna wear this everywhere.

4. I love free shirts.

5. But… I HATE this color.

6. You only have larges left???

7. Should I cut this into a crop top then?

8. At least it’s better than cargo shorts.

9. Maybe I’ll just work out in it instead.

10. People won’t notice it if the rest of me looks nice.

11. I think this is a sleeping shirt.

12. I ran out of paper towels. Looks like I’m using this. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.