Food to Fuel Up on this St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Saint Patrick’s Day is almost here, and somewhere between choosing your cutest green outfit and throwing back a Guinness, a girl’s gotta eat. So it’s time to get in touch with your inner chef and create a day’s worth of meals so deliciously Irish, even Saint Patrick himself would be proud. Read on for your guide to the perfect day of Irish meals.

Breakfast:

St. Patty’s falls on a Saturday this year, which means you’ll need your energy in the morning for the long, fun day ahead. The Irish don’t mess around when it comes to breakfast, so rub the shamrocks out of your eyes and get ready to cook. A traditional Irish breakfast typically includes eggs, bangers (sausage), rashers (bacon), black and white pudding, potatoes, tomatoes, beans and bread. For instructions on how to prepare this feast, check out this site; we’re stuffed just thinking about it.

If you’re not quite up to the challenge of an eight-course breakfast, you can always fix yourself a bowl Lucky Charms. It’s just as Irish in our book.

Lunch:
If you have room for lunch after that giant breakfast, you can’t go wrong with a traditional Irish stew. Warm up your belly mid-day with Ireland’s national dish filled with potatoes, meat and veggies. This stew is easy to make and sure to satisfy, but it takes about 2.5 hours to cook, so start early. Find the recipe here.

Dinner:
A classic Irish dinner includes—you guessed it—even more potatoes, meat and vegetables. To wrap up your day, try your potatoes mashed and some corned beef with cabbage for the main course. All you need is one big pot. See here for instructions.

Dessert:

No day is truly complete without a sweet treat post-dinner. To conclude your Saint Patrick’s Day, indulge yourself with an Irish Car-Bomb Cupcake. Okay, so this isn’t exactly an Irish tradition, but these cupcakes just looked too good not to include.