This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Scary enough, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so you know that it’s crunch-time to think of something fun to do with your significant other.

It’s hard to find an activity that is both original and fun for both parties, and if you are like me in a small college town, options are limited. Here are five fun date night ideas that can be used for the big upcoming holiday or just for a night out to yourselves. 

Paint and Sip

This idea will not only get the creative juices flowing, but you will also get a cute memento out of it. Run to your local dollar store and grab some paint and brushes and go to town. You can also score some cheap canvases or something else there like picture frames or signs, which will make for a great memory.

If you add in a bottle of wine, the night will be unforgettable. 

Bowling

Now, I know how this sounds funky, but just recently my boyfriend and I went on a bowling excursion and it was the most fun and spontaneous date to date! Seeing that I haven’t been much of a bowler for a good twelve years, it was such an out-of-the-box suggestion that ended up being so entertaining.

Spend an afternoon or evening bowling your hearts out and I know you won’t regret it. To make it even more enjoyable, invite another couple to come along with you. Nothing says double date like a little bit of healthy competition.   

Cook Together

I love to cook and bake so this is right up my alley. Plus, it is something you get to do together which is the ultimate goal. Choose a fun recipe, grab your ingredients, and have fun with it.

There are so many varieties of things you can make from pasta dishes to grilling out, or even, if you are feeling like you need a challenge, sushi. Be prepared to put in the work, but it comes with the best reward. If you aren’t up for a whole meal, choose a dessert, because everyone loves something sweet on V-Day. 

Go for a Hike

Even though it’s winter doesn’t mean it is cold everywhere. Taking a hike is a great activity to do as a couple and it gives you some much needed alone time. Being outdoors especially with your significant other is so peaceful and will be the perfect ignition for deep conversations along the way. Better yet, bring a picnic along to share and have yourselves a perfectly simple afternoon in nature. 

Game Night

As silly as it sounds, game nights are my favorite nights. Though this may be an activity to spend on a day other than Valentine’s, it is a great way to get to know your partner better and it is a great group date idea. Whether it be drinking games or board games, there will be endless fun and competition. Games could include charades, salad bowl, Kings, telestrations (one of my personal favorites, and so many more. 

Hopefully all of you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, whether it be with a significant other or hanging with your gals, spend the day doing something you love.

Current Senior at PSU UP. I live right outside of DC in Bethesda, MD and I am on track to be an Advertising and Public Relations major with a minor in Business I love sitcoms, stand-up and spend my time hanging out with friends and traveling.