Fashion Trends to look out for this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the weather finally coming above freezing, I, like many others, am so excited for spring activities.

The idea of grabbing ice cream with friends, doing homework on Hub lawn and just walking around downtown without my winter coat is all I need to cure my seasonal depression right now. One thing I am particularly excited about is finally putting away all of my chunky sweaters and grabbing some spring essentials.

Spring is one of my favorite seasons for fashion. Everything is so whimsical and the pastel color scheme is serotonin inducing. I asked my friend, Jane Peters — resident fashion guru, for her personal opinions on what’s going to be in this spring.

Preppy headbands

My personal favorite new spring essential has got to be the casual cloth headband. As someone who is constantly caught having bad hair days, these have been my saving grace.

These simple headbands are perfect accessories to make your everyday fit of flare leggings and crewnecks a little more classy. If you want to channel your inner Cher Horowitz from “Clueless,” these are the perfect addition to your wardrobe.

Bright / Neon Colors

Big, bright and beautiful is definitely a motto to live by this spring. Bright colors such as neon green and fiery orange are definitely on the rise.

Specifically, in swimwear, neon colors have started to flood the bikini aisle at Target. However, that does not mean that the classic pastel look associated with spring will be going away anytime soon.

Baby blues, pinks and lilacs are and always will be incredibly prevalent in my spring lookbooks.

Flare bottoms

I absolutely adore the flared bottoms trend. Originating in the early 2000s, these bottoms were a staple for every middle school girl.

I personally have memories of wearing these comfy leggings to all of my mall trips at the ripe age of 11 and feeling like an absolute fashion icon. However, this trend is not completely limited to leggings. Flare leather pants and even flare jeans have both risen in popularity tremendously within the past couple of months.

Satin Lace-up Heels

I think it is safe to say that this spring is going to be a completely new game for shoes. One trend to look out for are these stunning satin lace-up heels.

Although the idea of lace up heels is definitely not new, using satin for the laces gives the pre-existing shoe a more classy and clean look. These are a perfect shoe for anyone who is looking to try out the new “balletcore” aesthetic that is becoming incredibly popular.

The changing of the seasons is always a chance for rebirth and rejuvenation, and fashion can definitely be a huge factor in that. I know I am incredibly excited to finally look through my old bins of summer clothes that have been hibernating all winter and see if I can find something new.

Of course not all of these trends are going to appeal to everyone because that is all they are, trends. Fashion is subjective and a way for all of us to express ourselves in a beautiful way. Happy spring!

Freshman Broadcast Journalism student at Penn State University.