Culture > News

Everything You Need To Know About The Rex Orange County Allegations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

On Oct. 10, 2022, The Sun released a report that indie singer Rex Orange County was charged with allegedly sexually assaulting a woman six times. According to the tabloid, the 24-year-old allegedly assaulted a woman two times in the West End area of London, and once more in a taxi on June 1, 2021. The Sun reported he allegedly assaulted her three more times the next day at his Notting Hill home.

Rex Orange County, whose real name is Alexander O’Connor, denied the allegations, with a spokesperson telling The Sun, “Alex is shocked by the allegations which he denies and looks forward to clearing his name in court.”

O’Connor has released four studio albums — Bcos U Will Never B Free in 2015, Apricot Princess in 2017, Pony in 2019, and Who Cares? in 2022 — and has released a number singles. O’Connor has also been featured in many songs, such as “Boredom” by Tyler the Creator. O’Connor’s most popular songs are “Loving Is Easy,” “Sunflower,” and “Pluto Projector,” which was trending on TikTok for a few months in 2022.

O’Connor appeared in London’s Southwark Crown Court on Monday, Oct. 10, and pled not guilty to the charges. The Sun reports he was released on unconditional bail, meaning he did not have to stay in prison until his trial date. According to Variety, his trial date is set for Jan. 3, 2023.

In July 2022, O’Connor announced on Twitter he was canceling the rest of his tour because of “unforeseen personal circumstances.” When the tweet was posted, many fans were concerned for O’Connor. Looking back, some fans have realized the announcement was made a month after the alleged assault and the real reason behind the canceled dates could have been related to the allegations.

O’Connor’s Cancellation Announcement in July on Twitter.

With the news of the alleged assault, many of O’Connor’s fans are angry and upset — especially those who had claimed him to be their “comfort artist.” Some fans are now regretting their tattoos in dedication to him, Spotify Wrapped playlists with his songs, and any representations of Rex Orange County within their homes.

Fans on TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram are all raging after hearing the news, but fans have yet to hear anything from O’Connor himself since the allegations were released to the public. In his representatives statement to The Sun, they said, “He is unable to make any further comment because of the ongoing proceedings.”

Since the court day is a few months away, fans are forced to wait in anticipation to see the what will end up happening.

Hi, my name is Ria! I'm a junior at Penn State University studying Political Science and English.