carrie bradshaw i live here
carrie bradshaw i live here
New Line Cinema

Everything We Know About the Sex and the City Reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill. The beloved HBO series “Sex and the City” is making its return. I mean, who doesn’t model their lives after Carrie Bradshaw and her three best friends? 

This show has become the ultimate guide to navigating my early twenties, inspiration on so many levels (I mean have you seen Carrie’s outfits) and a constant reminder that Manhattan is where I’m destined to be. So when I saw SJP’s Instagram announcement of a “Sex and the City” reboot, I screamed so loud that one could probably hear from Bradshaw’s Perry Street apartment. In early January, SJP posted a video of New York City, with its classic car honks and loud noises. Her caption read, “I couldn’t help but wonder…where are they now? #AndJustLikeThat #SATCNextChapter.” 

Although her post does not give up much about the reboot, as months have gone on we know a little more about the show’s comeback and what we can expect from our favorites. Here’s everything we know about the “Sex and the City” reboot.

The Title

We got very little from SJP’s glorious Instagram announcement other than the title. The revival will be called “And Just Like That…” which is of course, an homage to one of Carrie’s favorite narrative lines. And just like that, I am excited about life again. 

Where We Can Watch It 

Also in Parker’s announcement was a mention to HBO Max, where the show will be streamed. Unlike old times, “And Just Like That” will be on the streaming platform, and the season will air all at once. The series will consist of 10 half-hour episodes. 

When…kinda 

Although we do not know the exact release date, we do know that production will begin in New York this spring. We can only hope for an early 2022 release date. I’m already planning a viewing party. 

Who

“And Just Like That” will of course feature Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie), Cynthia Nixon (Miranda) and Kristin Davis (Charlotte). If you’ve seen the show before then you are definitely aware of the big name missing. Miss Kim Cattrall (Samantha). 

SJP went on to dispute the rumors that the two do not like each other, and that is the reason Cattrall is not returning. “Samantha isn’t part of this story. But she will always be part of us. No matter where we are or what we do,” said Parker. Reports from Page Six also claimed that Chris Noth (Mr. Big) will not be returning for the reboot. 

However, Noth took to Instagram and said, “Well if page six says it… it must be true.” He even added a winking emoji after it. We really don’t know if we can be expecting Carrie’s hubby in the new season but with this Instagram message, I am remaining hopeful. Another “maybe” character includes David Eigenberg (Steve Brady). His rep has reported that he is currently in negotiations, so there’s another good sign. I can’t imagine a reboot without Miranda’s Brooklyn baby daddy. 

What

OK, so now that we know who is returning and who isn’t, what exactly is the premise of “And Just Like That” going to be? In an interview with Vanity Fair, Parker says the show will be about the women navigating life in their 50s. Parker also included that COVID-19 will be incorporated in the reboot, as the pandemic devastated New York City specifically just last year. Parker has great faith the writers will definitely “examine it all.” 

Although there are some missing holes in the “Sex and the City” reboot reveal, like whether or not Mr. Big will be a part of it or when we can expect to watch our favorite curly-haired columnist on our screens, we do have some key facts. I’m especially excited to see all the paparazzi and fan photos of the girls shooting all over NYC in the coming months. 

And who knows, maybe on my morning commute to work in the Flatiron District, I’ll see a Dior Saddle Bag and a pair of Manolos and witness it in person (let’s manifest this please). However the show decides to come back, whether it’s missing a character or few, I’m just beyond excited to have my favorite show back. And just like that, I am ready. 

Hi! My name is Brooke and I am a junior at Penn State! I am currently studying Advertising and Public Relations with minors in French and History. I have an incredible love for fashion and I hope to one day fulfill my dream of working in the fashion industry.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.