This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Like many people, I dabble in the hobby of Tinder swiping. Not only is it entertaining, but it can also be a confidence booster. While it is embarrassing to admit that… we’ve all been there (for the most part). My overall goal is to talk to nice guys with a great sense of humor, fashion sense, and charm. But there is one issue… I live in State College.

Why State College Tinder is the Worst.

Now, if you don’t have a Tinder or don’t live in the State College area, you are probably confused as to why I am complaining. This the simple answer… EVERY SINGLE GUY IS THE SAME. As I swipe, I get deja vu from the previous people and wonder “didn’t I see this guy already?” Their profiles are also so boring and have no originality. And if you thought their profile is bad, the conversations you have with them are much worse… Where’s the flavor? Where’s the originality?

To give you a visual, here is what every State College boy’s Tinder entails…

A “one of a kind” Saturday Is For the Boys tapestry.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen guys on Tinder with this tapestry hanging in the background of their pictures. This without fail, is a lifesaver for me because it is an indicator that I should definitely swipe left. Owning that tapestry speaks miles about a guy’s personality and their lack of originality.

Pics of their body, but not their face.

The Bachelorette strip dodgeball
Photo by ABC / Craig Sjodin

So many guys will make a profile and show off their abs, but not their face. Why? I don’t know about the people reading this, but why bother making a profile if you are not going to show your face? I genuinely wonder if there are people who swipe right on profiles like that.

Pictures of their dog.

Dog sleeping with toy in bed
Original photo by Grace Martorano

Don’t get me wrong. I love dogs, but a cute dog does not earn this guy any brownie points. So many guys put their dog as the first picture on their profile. I just don’t understand.

Guys who hold a fish (or any dead animal) in their pictures.

If I see one more fish picture, I’m going to lose my mind. In what world does a guy think that holding an animal carcass will attract girls? Maybe it’s just me, but this is my biggest pet peeve and will earn a guy an automatic swipe left.   

This article is not meant to steer you away from using the app. Like I said, it is very entertaining. But depending on the area you are in, you might see plenty of guys that are like how I described.  

To the guys who are possibly reading this: if you do any of the things listed above, please do better. We are tired of scrolling through boring profiles. That being said, we really appreciate a unique profile.

Sierra Cucciardi is a junior at Penn state majoring in Journalism.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.