Fall Girl Penn State Photoshoot
Fall Girl Penn State Photoshoot
Original photo by Vrinda Agarwal
Career

Enjoying Fall On A Budget: State College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Although we are living in extreme uncertainty and many of us have faced the financial impacts of the pandemic, it’s extremely important to get out of the house (with a mask and hand sanitizer, of course) and decompress after a long day of Zoom lectures. While we’ve all seen the Tik Toks and blog posts about hiking Mount Nittany, visiting the Waffle Shop, and checking out the Lion Shrine — which are all worth the trip — there are many cost-effective and relaxing activities to partake in.

To start off, I’m always surprised by how many people have never visited the Arboretum. I myself am guilty of living in East my freshman year and only visiting once, but it is truly the gem of University Park. Despite the fact that the weather is switching up quickly, the Arboretum is a great get away with and without friends.

Original image of girl with Fall landscape
Original photo by Arden Ericson

Perched on a hill, the viewing deck is the perfect place to watch the sun set and take a breather. However, if you’re feeling restless or need a place to practice mindfulness, taking a walk around the gardens or sitting by the fountains can also make you forget the outside world for a bit. Not to mention, all of this can be done for free and in a socially distanced setting, as the general layout of the Arboretum isn’t too cramped.

Secondly, before the temperatures dip below 60, it’s worthwhile to grab a picnic blanket and head out with friends onto Old Main Lawn. With everything about campus looking and feeling so foreign amidst the pandemic, Old Main is a great place to remember where you are and how beautiful our campus is. 

Penn State Fall Landscape
Original photo by Vrinda Agarwal

State College also offers an array of thrift shopping options for those of us on a budget. Goodwill offers a 15% student discount on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and is a great place to go for the crewnecks and sweaters you didn’t think to bring because you doubted we’d be on campus long enough to wear. There’s also Tiger Eye Vintage downtown and GFWC, which can end up on the pricier side.

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl

There’s no doubt that college life is very different right now, especially that of students at PSU. In spite of the fact that we won’t get the annual Pumpkin Festival or get to celebrate Halloweekend this year, it’s important to stay grateful for the opportunity to be here and make the most of State College while we can. 

Original photo by Chelsea Kun

Class of 2022
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.