Style > Decor

Easy Pet Decor DIYs That Are Guaranteed to Melt Your Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Do you love to pamper your furry friends and happen to have some free time on your hands? Look no further! The DIYs included below are enough to get anyone in the crafting spirit. 

These are not my original ideas, but rather, a collection of the best pet DIYs that I could find on my Pinterest feed. Grab your sewing tools and hot glue gun, but most importantly, have fun!

TV Tray Tent

DIY Pet Decor
Original illustration by Ava Kidd
DIY Pet Decor
Original photo by Ava Kidd

1. Turn the TV tray upside down and disconnect the legs from the table.
  2. Unscrew the legs from each other. The screws should be at the center point where the legs fold together.
  3. Warning: you will need a drill for this part. Angle each leg base so that they are at the edge of the table, and join the ends together so they connect at the bar that goes through the one leg. On both sides, drill screws through the point that the legs are joined and connect the leg bases to the table. You can use screws for the leg bases while you have your drill out, but Gorilla Glue works just fine.
  4. Time to decorate! Glue or staple a pretty cloth over the legs, place a comfy cushion on the bottom, and let your imagination go wild. You can hang toys from the top or even swap the cushion for a piece of cardboard for your cat to scratch

Cat-Friendly Zen Garden

DIY Pet Decor
Original illustration by Ava Kidd

1. Find a pot that is sturdy and wide, which is less likely to get knocked over.
  2. Fill the pot with soil, and plant rosemary, catnip, mint and cat grass.
  3. If you want to be really ambitious, decorate around the plants with pebbles and tiny fairy garden knick knacks. All of these plants are safe for cats to chew on and look super cute together!

Toddler Beds for Dogs

DIY Pet Decor
Original photo by Ava Kidd

This hack is as simple as it looks. If you happen to have a spare toddler bed or crib, these are perfect for medium to larger sized dogs.

Use a mattress or a dog bed that fits the frame and toss in your pooch’s beloved toys. You can also wrap artificial flower and leaf vines on top of the bars to add a little extra flair to the look. If you didn’t already think of your pet as your child, you will now!

Sweaters, but Make It a Bed

DIY Pet Decor
Original photo by Ava Kidd

1. Find an old sweater that you don’t wear anymore and give it a new life! Sew the neckline together and then stitch from one underarm to the other. Fill the sleeves with stuffing and press inwards until the sectioned area is comfy and supportive.
  2. After the sleeves are filled, sew the cuffs together and turn the sweater over.
  3. Push stuffing into the waist area of the sweater and sew along the bottom side of the sleeves.
  4. Flip it over and you’re done. You can embroider your pet’s name on it, tie a bow to it, iron on cute patches, or, if the pattern on the sweater is pretty enough on its own, just leave it plain!

Ava Kidd is a sophomore in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at PSU. She is double majoring in Public Relations and German. On weekends, you can find her either volunteering at the local cat rescue or solving sudoku puzzles!
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.