Drag Fund for Hexxa: A Community Coming Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

After a performer sustained an injury at the Oct. 12 Student Drag Show hosted by LGBTQA Student Roundtable, Cafe Queens will host the “Drag Fund for Hexxa” on Nov. 7 at Cafe 210 West at 10 p.m.

Chris Castro, aka “Hexxa,” tore his hamstring while performing a death-defying drop during the Student Drag Show’s final lip sync for the crown. The injury required surgery, which has a six to eight month recovery time. 

The cost at the door is $3 with all proceeds being donated to Castro. An open basket will also be available for additional donations. 

Jacob Brittingham, one of the event’s organizers and performers, said the queens created a group chat after Castro was injured to discuss ways they could help. 

“While on the surface we may seem shady, drag really is a family” Brittingham said. “When sh*t gets real, we have each other’s back.” 

The current lineup includes State College staples Terra Anness, Aloyna Chest, Absinthe, Ivanna Coxx, Patent Pending, Kassidy Kross, Tempest Bliss, Laurel Charleston, Bonzai Bucket and the queen of the night herself, Hexxa. 

“This performance is important to me to show that my passion and art is not dead and will not die, regardless of my circumstances,” Castro said.  “I’ve grown so much as an artist and performer, I’m ready to take on any obstacle that life wants to throw at me.”

Castro also said people should come to support the State College drag scene and see an “amazing” show. Castro is ready to start his healing process by stepping back into Hexxa’s stilettos. 

“I would love to see everyone that is coming out to support the cause because it’s been a rough couple weeks ever since the injury and the surgery,” Castro said. “I’d love to feel the love more than I already do at regular shows,” Castro said. 

The show is 21+. However, you can still donate to Castro’s medical costs here.

Kat Procyk is a Penn State senior studying multimedia journalism. She loves dogs, cameras, w(h)ine and experiencing life. She hopes to either continue with journalism or go into the film industry.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.