This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Fall is the perfect time to make sure you aren’t getting too caught up in your studies that you end up missing out on exploring everything State College has to offer! Here are a few things to do in State College to get into the fall spirit.

Palmer Museum Art After Hours: 4th Annual Halloween Spectacular

One of the most convenient ventures on this list, the Palmer Museum is hosting its 4th Annual Halloween Spectacular! Head on over Thursday, October 27th from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. for “ghostly games, monster music, and other fiendish fun”!

Football games at beaver stadium

What is fall in State College without football games and tailgates at Beaver Stadium? With home games still left, there’s plenty of time to tailgate with friends and family, and enjoy the student section with all of its fun and traditions. Even as the temperature cools down, you won’t want to miss our incredible team and our insane school spirit!

farmer’s markets

Don’t you worry, the Downtown State College outdoor markets are still open! The Tuesday Farmers Market is open until November and the Friday Farmers Market is open all the way until the Friday before Thanksgiving. Enjoy strolling through the booths and the local vendors to find yourself fresh produce, pastries, and of course all of the stunning plants and flowers!

Events at the Arboretum

The Penn State Arboretum is buzzing with activities during October, starting with a Pumpkin Giveaway on Sunday, October 2. This giveaway is the precursor to the Pumpkin Festival scheduled on Friday, October 7 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and on Saturday, October 8 from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.

This festival features a jack-o’-lantern carving contest, lighted nighttime displays, games, crafts and family activities. Grab some friends and head on over to the H.O. Smith Botanic Gardens to get in the fall mood and get some Halloween spirit!

hiking mount nittany

You can’t go to Penn State and not hike Mount Nittany at least once, especially in this beautiful weather! With stunning views and more than eight miles of trails, Mount Nittany offers an amazing setting for your next fall adventure.

exploring downtown

You can never get enough time to explore downtown State College and autumn is the perfect time to do so! First Friday events, which occurs every month, lets you experience after-hours access to galleries and shops, free bites and beverages, live music, retail and restaurant specials and more. You won’t want to miss out on everything the town here has to offer.

Enjoy the weather (before it gets brutally cold)!

Penn State’s campus is gorgeous, so before the temperatures drop too low, enjoy the beauty of the changing trees and fallen leaves. Grab a blanket and go study on the Old Main Lawn or choose to walk to class instead of taking the bus (before you don’t have much of an option)!

Get involved with THON!

Do you want to get involved with the largest student-run philanthropy in the world? Well, with THON 2023 being from February 17-19, now is the perfect time to get involved and join a THON org if you haven’t already!

SUpport the psu thespian society!

The Penn State Thespian Society will present The Addams Family from October 13th – October 15th at the Schwab Auditorium! The Addams Family is “a comical feast that embraces the wackiness in every family.” Tickets for Penn State Students are only $4.98; you won’t want to miss this!

Enjoy the fall season, and start making sure you’re taking advantage of every opportunity that Penn State and State College offer!

Hannah Workman is currently a sophomore at Penn State University studying psychology and journalism. When she's not writing or being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Hannah loves listening to music, reading, and spending too much money on concerts and Starbucks!