Director of Legally Blonde: The Musical Monica Mazel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Monica Mazel is an accomplished senior film/production major at Penn State University. This semester, she is directing the Penn State Thespians’ production of Legally Blonde: The Musical, which will be performed at Schwab Auditorium October 22nd-24th, 2015.

Name: Monica Mazel

Year: Senior

Major: Film/Production

HC: What is the best part about being director for Legally Blonde?

MM: I love Legally Blonde: The Musical, and it is a dream come true to bring my vision to life on the stage! 

HC: What is your dream job?

MM: I hope to be a successful television producer/director someday. I love the entertainment industry, I love to create and I love working in fast-paced environments. 

HC: What has been the biggest challenge you have faced during the rehearsal process?

MM: The most prominent challenge that I’ve faced with this rehearsal process is how “big” this show is. It’s a very difficult musical to put on in an eight-week period. It’s physically and mentally demanding for the cast and rehearsal staff. From start to finish, the show is filled with high-energy, fast-paced scenes and full-company musical numbers. 

HC: What is your favorite quote from the show and why?

MM: “Being true to yourself never goes out of style.” This show is about finding self-acceptance and staying true to yourself. I think this is a beautiful quote highlighting one of the most beautiful themes from the show. 

HC: What’s something you want the cast to know?

MM: To my cast: I have wanted to direct this show for over a year now. Before casting and before I received the position of director, I had this perfect picture in my head of what my cast would be (talented, energetic, dedicated, etc.). I am so grateful that you all showed up to auditions because the 29 of you truly make up my dream cast. I love each and every one of you. 

HC: What do you want the audience to know about Legally Blonde: The Musical?

MM: This is a show where there is more than meets the eye. The musical is actually a lot like its protagonist Elle Woods – both are often judged at first for being nothing but pink, fluffy and silly. But once we start getting to know them more, we discover they both have a deep, emotional core. This show is about staying true to yourself, never giving up or underestimating your abilities, moving beyond external appearances and breaking stereotypes. 

HC: Why should people come see Legally Blonde?

MM: The audience is sure to be engaged during every minute of the show. It’s witty, it’s upbeat and it’s a whirlwind of fun and laughs. 

Check out Legally Blonde: The Musical this Thursday-Saturday in the Schwab Auditorium! Event details can be found on their Facebook event.

I am a junior majoring in public relations and psychology with a minor in music technology. I love to watch Netflix until 6am when I have a paper due the next day and eat a half of a pizza for dinner. I've been a part of Her Campus PSU for three semesters, and I can't wait to share what I have to say with you!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.