This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Guys, let me preface this by saying, those of us who are interested in men, want you to do better.

Coming from someone who has been on Tinder for more than a year, it is no secret that intentions on the app can change. Many are interested in the hook-up culture, while there are still some individuals seeking out dates. 

Let me highlight here that I have my Tinder settings on for men and women. These are just some of the Tinder pet peeves I’ve experienced, as well as others I’ve discussed with, on this side of the spectrum. 

This does not leave women off the hook – but that’s a different article. 

Keep your purpose for Tinder in mind, and avoid these red flags that scream, “do not swipe right.”

Posed photos with hunting catches

it's always sunny be gone vile man
FXX / Giphy

Yes – I went there. Hunting for sport can be controversial, but this isn’t about that. Posing with your “prize” in nearly every Tinder photo is the epitome of “do not swipe right.”

My advice: if hunting is something you’re passionate about, keep one, rated-G photo on there. Incorporate a pun in your bio about it if you’re feeling extra creative. Just keep the gory pictures tucked away in your camera roll and incorporate some photos highlighting who you are outside of hunting. 

“Here for a good time, not a long time”

This bio does one thing right – it makes me swipe left. Although it is important to communicate your intentions on the app, there’s a more charismatic way to do it. 

Instead, personalize an intriguing bio that lets others know you’re not interested in anything serious. You’ll likely match with people who want the same things as you, but always be clear with your intentions before meeting them . 

Your photos have us playing “Where’s Waldo”

ABC/Craig Sjodin

If I have to search your many group photos to see which guy is the same in every picture, I get bored and swipe left. This is not the Bachelorette.

Show yourself off! Don’t hide in the background. 

Thirsty Messages

Trust me, I’ve had many unprompted, risque messages waiting for me after giving Tinder a break. It can make me feel gross to be sexualized in these ways, especially when I hadn’t even messaged the person before. 

My honest piece of advice? Don’t be explicit, and consider the other person before you bombard them with a thirst trap. Intrigue them first, then ask what they are looking for, and go from there. 

No bio

New Girl Nick Miller Frustrated GIF
Giphy / Fox

I don’t know about you, but I think the most attractive thing about someone’s Tinder profile can be their bio. It tells me how creative they are, their interests, what they’re looking for and sometimes they make me laugh. 

Make your bio unique and clever enough that you would swipe right if you saw it. 

Past relationship photos

Now, this one is kind of weird. To the guys who cross out their ex’s face and put a caption, “This could be you,” I have one question for you: What makes you think I’d want it to be? 

Next. 

Asking for my Snapchat after two messages

Felicity Warner

I am a firm non-believer in love-at-first-sight, but asking for my Snapchat after not even knowing my last name is a red flag. In my personal opinion, people on Tinder with good intentions always ask for my number, and they do so after we have a bit of a conversation. 

Like I said, we want you to do better, and I’m rooting for you.

Alyssa is a Senior at Penn State University studying Psychology with a focus on life science. Following graduation, she plans to attend graduate school to pursue a career in counseling for adolescents. In her free time, Alyssa enjoys making a Spotify playlist for every occasion, binging thrillers on Netflix, and spending time with her kitten, Penny.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.