Woman with pink hair taking picture of herself with the caption \"I am a proffessional\"
Original photo by Ngozi Nwokeukwu
Career > Work

Colorful, Bright and Still Professional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

To be a junior or senior on the verge of entering the workforce can be terrifying. With a barely recovering job market, the tail end of a world changing pandemic and a migration of people quitting jobs due to poor company practices, it’s safe to say that the world of employment is a scary thing to navigate.

While the job market continues to be unstable, more and more people are starting to demand more for their labor and find jobs that truly represents their ideals.

This new generation of workers is not like their predecessors, which has led to new expectations for employment. There is a strong desire for more diversity in the workplace, protection for opinions, and the demand for proper compensation and benefits.

With these progressive ideas entering the conversation, it’s a shame that dress codes and hair standards, especially for women and members of the LGBTQ community, are not included. Something as simple as appearance can be the difference between landing a job and being rejected for looking “unprofessional”.

Aside from certain industries, such as entertainment, it is generally unprofessional to wear certain colors in your hair on the job, or have a full sleeve of tattoos. These personal expressions can lead an employer to infer that a candidate is unprofessional, even though the two have nothing to do with each other. However, case studies from some companies can show the benefits of a more loose dress code within the company.

Zappos, an online shoe and clothing retailer, has been praised for the corporate culture that they cultivate in their company. Their structure was one that appreciated weirdness, creativity and individuality.

Employees’ desks are lined with personal items to express their personalities and Zappos holds creative events just for the purpose of staff bonding. As stated on the company’s website, “We believe that if we get the culture right, then most of the other stuff — like delivering great customer service or building a long-term enduring brand or business — will be a natural byproduct.”

“Theory Y” of business management suggests that employees want to be apart of their jobs and want to have a place in their company. Employees want to engage intimately with their jobs, even if it is not their “end goal”. People want to make an impact, and they want to feel that they and their contributions are valued.

When companies refuse to challenge existing standards, people feel detached from their work, which leads to people leaving those unfulfilling positions.

I got pink hair just about two months ago, with streaks of purple, gold and blue lined throughout. As a junior, the headshots I take will be with this 32 inch pink hair. Employers will see me with my colorful hair, and the damage that it could cause for my future career has never phased me.

Although my plan is to go into television and entertainment, I have plans of working heavily in the business and data analysis sector of the companies. This hair has never felt limiting to this aspiration. Having this new hair color did not drop my GPA, make me less hardworking or stop my passion.

This new generation wants to embrace individuality. And it will be this new generation that will create a more inclusive, inviting and inspiring environment to work in, where all forms of personal expression are valid.

Hello, Lovelies! This is your world, but I am making a fuss in it! I am Ngozi Nwokeukwu, a third-year Telecommunications Major currently writing for both HERCAMPUS and MorphoMag! Let me take you on a tour of this mind of mine.