College Confessions: Home (Alone) For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Unfortunately, as we grow up, we occasionally grow apart from our families. Whether this was your choice or a matter of circumstance, when the holidays come, you may be left to celebrate them on your own.

As I write this, I am wrapped in a blanket on the couch of my cold, empty house. There is no cooking smells making me hungry for food I can’t have yet, there isn’t the chatter of multiple conversations, and I don’t have to share my room with my cousin. Instead, my cat is lying on my arm making it difficult to type as I catch up on Scandal.

As anyone over the age of 18 will tell you, growing up sucks. But we often only think about it in terms of paying taxes and having to cook yourself dinner. We don’t consider that growing up may also mean sacrificing your family traditions in order to work a few extra days or that you can’t afford the plane ticket to head home. As much as you wish you were five again and being pampered by your relatives rather than worrying about your responsibilities, this transition is a good thing.

This transition means you can take care of yourself, and that you don’t need to rely on the support of your mom or dad to make life decisions. You may miss your nana’s baking, but you’re becoming an independent adult. And in a few (way too short) years, you’ll be organizing your own family holidays and building new traditions with whomever you choose to be in your life, and you don’t have to include your Great Aunt Helena who pinches your cheeks.

Now, so you don’t have to contemplate your impending adulthood any longer, here’s a list of good things about being home alone:

1. You don’t have to wear the ugly, scratchy sweater you got last year.

2. You can dance around the house in your underwear… while playing inappropriate music that no one is around to yell at you for.

3. Don’t like green beans? No green beans.

4. No one is hassling you about why you’re still single.

5. No, “Put a jacket on – it’s cold out.”

6. You don’t have to pretend to like any presents that you actually hate.

7. Or pretend to read the card and ignore the check.

8. You can catch up on your sleep without anyone complaining that you’re not spending enough time with them.

See? Being alone definitely has its perks too – be sure to make the most of it!

Happy Holidays, collegiettes!

HCXO,

Her Campus Penn State

Photo credit: 1

Lindsay Miller is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Media Studies. She enjoys spending her time sleeping, eating, and watching Netflix, usually with her kitten, Kiwi, lying in the most inconvenient spot possible.  She also enjoys reading and writing until she gets frustrated and erases everything. If you want to get in her good graces, bring her a milkshake.     
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.