A Closer Look At The Movin’ On 2017 Lineup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As Movin’ On 2017 quickly approaches (mark your calendars for April 28th) buzz about the recently revealed lineup has begun. While you are most likely familiar with at least a group or two and some of the more popular hits, here’s a little more about all the performers before they make their way to Happy Valley for the 42nd annual Movin’ On Music Festival. Happy fangirling!

TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB

Since 2007, Two Door Cinema Club, named after a movie theater in their hometown, has been cranking out good jams and vibes between their three albums, including the latest, Gameshow. The crowd favorite, “What You Know” off their first album, is sure to make an appearance. The group, an Irish trio who has been together since they were 16, recently released their U.S. tour dates and will be making their way to Penn State as the headlining show just shortly after performing for Coachella. The popular indie rock/punk genre will certainly be a good note to end on.

Fun fact: Kanye West blogged about his love for TDCC back in 2010.

ALL TIME LOW

They were there through your first middle school breakup and still there through your side bangs and black nail polish phase; ATL is the OG alternative throwback band (after Blink-182 who they covered before becoming an all-original band). The four-person ensemble from the nearby city of Towson, Maryland has been dominating the punk-rock genre for over a decade now with seven albums. Having previously won AP Music’s Most Dedicated Fans award, we can’t wait to see how Penn State shows out for All Time Low.

Fun fact: Jack Barakat, the lead guitarist, broke his nose by diving off the stage once.

D.R.A.M.

Yet another East Coast reppin’ artist, D.R.A.M. hit the rapper spotlight after releasing a #1EPICSummer mixtape in 2014. D.R.A.M., by the way, stands for “Does. Real. Ass. Music.” In just a few short years, he’s gained a huge following after going double platinum between “Cha Cha” and “Broccoli.” While in his hit song “Broccoli” it is evident he is not referring to the vegetable, he did say before, “I’ve always liked broccoli and s–t. So it’s good. I remember my mama used to use that for the vegetable side for a lot of meals, with some butter and some salt and pepper. It’s real good. Mix it with the rice, whatever the meat is. So I’ve always been a fan of broccoli — intake has been the same, the record’s just a coincidence.” He recently killed his live performance on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and we’re sure he’ll leave the crowd wanting more this year.

Fun fact: D.R.A.M., whose birth name is Shelley, wasn’t introduced to rap music until the 5th grade.

CLEAN BANDIT

This electric pop trio from England has blown up since their smash single, “Rather Be”, won the Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording in 2015. Recently, they reached No. 1 on Billboard’s “Dance/Electronic Songs” chart with the song “Rockabye” ft. Sean Paul and Anne-Marie. You can watch that music video here. What’s especially exciting about their debut in State College is their highly anticipated new single dropping this Friday. This will make Penn State one of the first to hear “Symphony” ft. Zara Larsson live! Check out the preview on their Instagram.

Fun fact: The band began as a traditional string quartet.

LOVE AND THEFT

This American country duo rose to fame after their single “Angel Eyes” hit No. 1 on the country charts. Love and Theft has received nominations by the CMA’s and other country music recognition committees. Their third and latest album, Whiskey on My Breath, uses only acoustic guitars. They plan to focus on touring and radio before releasing another album, which they also want to write themselves.  

Fun fact: They lost their record deal with RCA, but came back kicking by recording and releasing their most recent album on their own terms.

Check out http://www.movinon.org for more information about the event, and subscribe to their newsletter to stay in the know!  

I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞  
Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope