The Buenos Aires adventures continue!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The adventures just keep on coming! Almost one month in and studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina has and will continue to be one of the most fantastically difficult, disheartening, scary, best, most exciting times of my entire life. Coming to a country in which I am not fluent in the language has proven much more difficult than I had initially anticipated. I figured I knew enough to get by…and that’s just what I’m doing as far as the language goes: I’m getting by. Going to grocery stores and restaurants, using public transportation, and simple every day conversation is a hundred times more difficult in a different language. But, hey, it’s the best way to learn, right?  Right…

I’m living in one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city called San Telmo. San Telmo is known for its authenticity, cobblestone streets and tango parlors. It’s also known for being one of the more dangerous areas of the city. Coming from a place where I’d never think twice about walking down the street talking on my iPhone with my Dooney and Bourke bag hanging carelessly off my arm or putting my book bag down on the empty seat next to me on the Blue Loop. Here, that is a HUGE no-no. It’s a big adjustment to have to be extra careful with my belongings at all times. Next semester, I’ll be the one wearing my book bag on my front clutching it for dear life…don’t hesitate to casually remind me that State College is a safe haven.

Despite the major cultural adjustments, I can already honestly say studying abroad is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It totally took me out of my comfort zone and hurled me into a sink or swim environment, which I think is an extremely beneficial learning experience. In the short time that I’ve been here, I’ve already met people I know will be life-long friends. My roommate, Sandra, for example, is a complete godsend. She’s from Spain but speaks great English and knows everything about the city. I feel so lucky to have been paired up with her.  There are tons of other awesome people I’ve gotten to know from all over the world as well.

I must also say the nightlife here is absolutely insane. The typical weekend pattern at Penn State of going out by ten, eating Canyon by two, and being passed out by three has NOT prepared me for the marathon Saturday nights here in good ole’ South America. The “boliches” (clubs) don’t even open until three a.m. and everyone stays until sunrise. Needless to say, I cannot hang.  I did, however, just ring in my 21st birthday in Punta Del Este, Uruguay with a few friends. It was only a short ferry ride away to those beautiful beaches and quaint tourist areas. Although it wasn’t your typical Penn Stater’s 21st Phyrst experience…I’d say it was still pretty memorable.

I can’t wait to see what other adventures lay ahead of me during this trip. I love waking up every day not knowing what new people I’m going to meet or what I’ll end up doing.  The possibilities are truly endless. I can only hope time slows down for the next three months so that I can get as many new experiences in as possible!

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.