This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Deciding what form of birth control to use varies for every person and it is completely based on personal preference and opinion. Luckily, as a woman in 2019 it is fairly easy to obtain birth control and accurate information about it. The real challenge is deciding what form works best for you.

The Pill

The birth control pill is the most classic form of birth control, approved by the FDA in the 60’s. There are 3 types of birth control pills. Combination, progestin-only, and extended cycle pills.

The combination pill contains a combination of two hormones (estrogen and progestin) which prevent pregnancy. Progestin-only pills contain only progestin and they may be prescribed to women who experience side effects from other types of birth control pills. The extended cycle pill brings about a period only once every 3 months and it contains estrogen and progestin. 

With any type of birth control pill you choose, it is vital that taken at the same time everyday.  This ends up giving the pill a bad reputation. When taken correctly, the pill is 91% effective. Side effects vary across women, but they include mood changes, weight gain or loss and spotting.

The Ring

No, not the horror movie, in fact, this form of birth control isn’t scary at all. The most commonly used brand is called NuvaRing. This form of birth control is very similar to the pill; the ring is medicated with the same hormones (estrogen and progestin). 

Instead of taking a pill everyday, a small flexible piece of plastic is inserted into the vagina once every three weeks. It is reported to be very easy and you can do it yourself. NuvaRing offers applicators similar to tampon applicators, which make insertion easier. When the ring is in, it is 91% effective. Women who have used this form of birth control reported reduced acne, but migraines may become more common during your period. Spotting, nausea or changes in mood have also been reported.

The IUD

The IUD (intrauterine device) is one of the most effective forms of birth control. There’s two types of IUD’s out there, hormonal and copper IUD’s. Both hormonal and copper IUD’s are little, t-shaped pieces of plastic inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. 

The hormonal IUD contains progestin which prevents sperm from fertilizing eggs. It is 99% effective, lasts from 3-6 years and requires absolutely no work other than a quick visit to your OBGYN for insertion and removal of the device. There are little to no side effects reported, and most women lose their period after a few months of having the hormonal IUD. 

The copper IUD is very similar to the hormonal IUD, but it can last up to 12 years. This IUD can also serve as emergency contraception if inserted within 5 days after unprotected sex. Women have reported heavier periods with more cramps especially in the first 6 months of having the IUD. 

No matter what form of birth control you decide to use, it is very important to speak with your feminine healthcare professional to figure out which suit you.

Carli is a junior at Penn State University studying journalism.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.