Best Places to Cry on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Stress, work, deadlines, expectations, assignments, exams, grades — there’s definitely a side to the university experience that isn’t cute. Nearly every college student studying at Penn State, or really anywhere, would agree.

As University Park students, all these things are pretty constant in our daily lives, but occasionally there comes a time, a special, hell-like time when all of these things seem to intersect at once. It is for these times in particular that one might need some advice I, myself, can provide. No, I’m not talking about time management hacks or some sort of how-to-study tip collection. I’m also not going to be able to help you with organization or efficiency. BUT, maybe you were wondering… Where are the best places to cry on campus?

The stone-hard pavement in front of Old Main, in mid-afternoon

When you reach that breaking point, where your mind is short-circuiting, lagging as it scrolls through your week’s to-do list, you might need to sit down. After wondering around campus with a blank mind, underneath Old Main’s towering façade, on the wide space of pavement before it, just plop down. No matter how many people are out-and-about, whether you are done with everything, or can just no longer function, I truly suggest it’s here you let it all out.

It’s really optimized when you stare off into the distance unblinkingly as the tears first start to form, but that’s optional. Also, it’s an option at this point here to call you mom, but that’s really not required. Preferably by the afternoon the sun has warmed up the spot you’re sitting on, rendering it decently comfortable, and if you can avoid paying any mind to other students passing by, which in the blur of the moment really won’t be difficult, that also adds to the atmosphere nicely.

Let it all out before you stand up and brush off your legs, and, if you play your cards right, you could even make it to your next class on time.

The long, flat bench at entrance to The Arboretum, around 6 p.m.

If you’ve eaten or not already by now, it doesn’t matter. If you think The Arboretum is a really pretty place, that also doesn’t matter. It’s cool outside by now, and honestly there better not be anyone on the bench in question because your day can’t really handle that.

Stress has probably gotten to you all week; just toss your backpack on the bench, and use it to prop up your head. At this point, it is an option to start thinking of all the people — professors, friends, parents, bosses — and things that have contributed to your stress, as well as how overwhelmed you’ve been lately.

With half-opened eyes, stare up at the sky. Probably won’t be long after this that the tears come. This cry setting really isn’t suited for an episode, but a steady stream of tears, with occasional sobs is acceptable for sure.

If anyone really, actually, tries to talk to you, just pause and slowly shift your stare to them. After your blood-shot glare meets them as your only response, if they don’t run, at least they’ll definitely leave you alone and move along. It’s different for everyone, but I’d plan on laying here for a while. Don’t rush the process, and you’re probably not going anywhere after that to be honest.

HUB Lawn at Dawn

It’s a good thing you got up for your 8 a.m., struggled to roll out of bed and slipped on the first things your hands reached so you wouldn’t be late. It’s a good thing you hustled down the little sidewalks through campus without thinking, completely drained from staying up late into the night studying for an exam, until you reached the building. And, it’s a great thing that the class turned out to be canceled.

It’s at this point, with your exhausted, empty mind, I advise you wander to the HUB Lawn. There’s nothing better to do for this time here, as you’ve already left your bed and all. Drop down on either the grass, for extreme cases, or the small concrete ledge at the top of the lawn. Stare down into the grass, running your hands through your hair. It’s always the next thing and then the next and then one more thing. Let the warm tears well up in your eyes as you stare, falling after you finally blink.

By now you can watch State College wake up a bit, as other people look similarly overworked and strain to reach their morning classes. This isn’t a spot for a heavy cry; however, don’t underestimate the experience.

Soon you’ll realize you should use this time to get up and buy a bagel or a coffee.

Or, if your bank account looks like mine, you can just sit right back down and wallow in the moment some more. Either way, crying in a pure state of overwhelmed, overworked madness is probably better than your 8 a.m., or pretty close at least.

The middle of the library literally anytime

Listen, you really can’t be obnoxious here — it’s a library — but this is a very therapeutic one. With the mess of papers, notebooks, a dull pencil and your dying laptop covering the table you’ve secured to study, you may reach a point when you break a little.

Give in to that.

Don’t even hold back. I’m guessing you’ve probably been struggling to understand the material for your exam for hours, not to mention the fact you have two others you should be studying for simultaneously. And oh yeah, your phone died a while ago — obviously you forgot your charger.

When that strong feeling comes to the surface, reaches your throat and heats up your cheeks, give right in. Collapse your shoulders and head on to the clutter of your life. Note: your papers might stick to your face as you start sobbing.

If you can pull of those scary, silent sobs in this instance, that would really be ideal as to not draw obscene attention to your situation if possible. The release you’ll experience will actually be quite healthy. I’m not positive how much studying you’ll want to do right after, but maybe after a few sniffs drink some water and recover.

You kind of risk looking like a psychopath, but if you feel like laughing at yourself and this entire situation after you’re done with the tears, I support that too.

Then pick your pencil back up.

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.