The best lyrics of off Taylor Swift\'s \"Evermore\"
Original photo by Fernanda Cuadro

The Best Lyrics off of Taylor Swift’s “Evermore”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Taylor Swift once said, “the drought was the very worst,” which is why I think she has not left her fans in a music “drought.” 

In the past year and a half, she has released three, amazing albums, containing arguably her best lyrical work. Her newest album, “Evermore,” especially showcases this. 

Below are the best lyrics from each song off of the album.

“Life was a willow, and it bent right to your wind” — “Willow”

This is a perfect song to display imagery, comparing billowing willow trees to effervescent love that makes you feel like you are floating. It is like a folky, eye-opening dream composed of stolen glances and blushing cheeks. 

“She would’ve made such a lovely bride/What a shame she’s f*cked in the head” — “Champagne Problems”

This lyric marks the peak of the bridge. All the emotions of hurt amount to this one lyric with gentleness and understanding afterwards. It flows perfectly, and it is no wonder this is a favorite for fans of Swift.

“My mind turns your life into folklore/I can’t dare to dream about you anymore” — “Gold Rush”

This song is literally the embodiment of liquid gold. It is a dream that flows and shimmers in your ears, transporting you to a world when you can hopelessly romanticize.

“And the road not taken looks real good now/And it always leads back to you in my hometown” — “‘Tis the Damn Season”

This is the perfect song to reminisce about a high school fling. 

“Took this dagger in me and removed it?/Gained the weight of you then lose it/Believe me, I could do it” — “Tolerate It”

This is arguably one of Swift’s best tracks. She paints a beautiful picture of how it feels when someone gives you less than you deserve. She finishes by reclaiming her power as the victim of toxicity.

“No body, no crime/I wasn’t letting up until the day I die” — “No Body, No Crime”

This song showcases Swift’s phenomenal storytelling skills. The repetition is everything, and the song is like no other. It deserves all of its high regards from fans. 

“Leave it all behind/And there is happiness” — “Happiness”

One of her most beautiful songs details how to move on from love that has turned sour. It takes sadness and turns it into a beautiful sunrise full of “happiness.”

“It’s never too late to come back to my side” — “Dorothea”

All Swift fans want to be Dorothea after this one. Reconnection with an old friend is comparable to the feeling of coming home.

“Did I paint your bluest skies the darkest grey?” — “Coney Island”

This song asks these questions: Where did we go wrong? How were we so close, yet a universe away? It is a beautiful song we can all relate to.

“My house of stone, your ivy grows/And now I’m covered/In you” — “Ivy”

Although this song is about an affair, it undoubtedly recounts those immediate connections you only find few and far between in your life. This song is what butterflies in your stomach feel like.

“Now you hang from my lips/Like the Gardens of Babylon” — “Cowboy like Me”

Swift tells an unlikely love story in this sweet and smooth tale. It feels like slow dancing under aligning stars.

“And he’s passing by/Rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky” — “Long Story Short”

“Long Story Short” is one of the most fun songs on the album. It emphasizes that the best love stories are rare, especially those that take forever to find. But once you do find it, they are everything.

“If I didn’t know better/I’d think you were singing to me now” — “Marjorie”

This particular song is about Swift’s grandmother, Marjorie. This lyric contains her grandmother, who was an opera singer, singing alongside her. It is a beautiful sentiment and one we can feel with our late family members.

“Yes I got your letter/Yes I’m doing better” — “Closure”

The easy flow of this song shows how it feels to finally move on. No longer needing closure means light shoulders and light-hearted laughs.

“I had a feeling so peculiar/This pain wouldn’t be for/Evermore” — “Evermore”

This is the closing track of the album, which she sings with Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. She changes the trajectory of the piece from a pain that would be for evermore to one that would not be — and she does it beautifully.

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.