This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Hair care is such an essential part of self-care. I know that if my hair feels heavy, dirty or even looks weird, I feel self-conscious about it all day. This means I am constantly touching my hair, making it look worse. 

I treat my hair care the same way I treat my skincare; it is so important to have healthy hair and to love your hair every day. 

I have established a hair routine that works for my hair type for both texture and thickness. 

After diving into websites and reviews online and in-person, here is a curated list of the top-rated hair products on Amazon. A lot of them are also trending among influencers on social media.

Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo

This is a lifesaver for people who have a dry or itchy scalp. This product is designed to be alternated with your everyday shampoo and is almost guaranteed to improve dry scalp. 

Promising review via Amazon:

“Kain

What sorcery is this?

Reviewed in Australia on May 10, 2020

Verified Purchase

Normal anti-dandruff shampoo has no use for me. I have been living with it for all my life. So enough is enough, I decided to give this product a try based on super high reviews. It’s f****ng AMAZING.

After 1 week of usage (three times), my condition reduced 90%. No more pieces on my iPad, where I sit or on my shoulders. It’s a lifesaver.

What I have been doing is washing my hair with normal shampoo and the second time with this product. Not to mention it also smells nice. 5 stars period!”

Elizavecca cer-100 collagen coating hair protein treatment

A collagen treatment designed to repair heat or sun-damaged hair. It has been trending on TikTok, so I had to check it out. It is a hair treatment that sits on your hair for 5-20 minutes before showering and is supposed to start working after just one treatment!

It is a rich treatment that will work in all hair textures.

Promising review via Amazon:

“Danielle

Bring your hair back to Virgin quality!

Reviewed in Canada on June 29, 2020

Verified Purchase

I saw some mixed reviews about this product, but I tried it and I love it. Maybe the instructions weren’t clear, so here’s a refresher: 1. Wash you hair with shampoo 2. Towel dry (micro towel girls, please) 3. Apply product, focus on ends 4. Let sit for minimum 5 mins, I leave it for 30 mins 5. Rinse out.

I do this mask once a week, MAX; but honestly, I probably only do it once every second week because it’s that good.”

Hair shampoo brush

Scalp massagers can be used with your shampoo in the shower. The handle makes it easy to grip while in the shower. It can help prevent itchy, dry scalps and relieve dandruff.

The description also pointed out that it can help thin hair grow and become thicker.

Promising review via Amazon:

“Marie

Amazing

Reviewed in the United States on October 16, 2022

Color: Black; Verified Purchase

This is part of my weekly hair care routine. I have VERY fine hair that falls out any time I touch my hair whether it’s washing or brushing my hair and not just a couple strands but a whole handful every time.

I bought this on a whim and have been using it religiously for almost a year and my scalp feels amazing and my hair is actually healthier feels 100% more full and stronger than before I started using this brush. Also I barely lose hair now when I brush or wash my hair it’s truly a life saver for my hair.”

chi 44 iron guard thermal protection

CHI is the best heat protector I have ever used. From personal experience, this spray smells good and leaves my hair feeling healthy and light after applying heat. 

The product advertises for breakage control, shine and protection. It helps to seal the cuticle and prevent further damage from heat. 

Promising review via Amazon:

“Chris

Great product!

Reviewed in the United States on October 15, 2022

Verified Purchase

This product works great! I spray it on before I use a flat/curling iron. It makes my hair soft and illuminates the frizz. I highly recommend this spray!”

mizani 25 miracle milk leave-in conditioner

This leave-in conditioner protects and moisturizes curly hair. Improves manageability, hydrates and detangles hair while controlling frizz. 

This product is designed for curly hair and said it can be used on wigs, weaves, natural and relaxed hair. 

Promising review via Amazon:

“Angela C.

Makes hair soft

Reviewed in the United States on October 23, 2022

Size: 8.5 Fl Oz (Pack of 1); Verified Purchase

I use this when I blow dry my hair. It makes a huge difference. I put it on after I wash my hair, along with oil and a spray heat protectant. It makes my 4C hair soft and easy to style.”

olaplex no.7 bonding oil

This bonding oil is designed for shine, heat-protecting, frizz control, UV protection, strengthening and detangling hair. It also helps restore appearance and texture.

It is a styling oil that controls frizz and increases softness. It can be used on damp or dry hair, then re-applied lightly before restyling dry hair.

Promising review via Amazon:

Regina G.

This stuff is legit!

Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on October 14, 2022

Verified Purchase

It does what it says it will do, takes away the frizz and makes your hair feel silky smooth. My hair is wavy/curly and this oil does not weigh it down giving it that heavy “full of product” feeling that so many oils out there do. A bit on the pricey side but for frizz free hair that look, feels and smells great, it is worth the investment.”

moroccanoil treatment

The treatment is designed to soften, hydrate and detangle hair. It is a conditioning, styling and finishing tool that nourishes hair. 

It can be applied to damp hair to establish a styling base or dry hair to prevent frizz and improve shine. 

Promising review via Amazon:

“Linda W.

Best Hair Product

Reviewed in the United States on October 22, 2022

Style: 3.4 Fl. Oz.; Verified Purchase

My hair was dry flat and lifeless. My hairdresser from years ago always used it on my hair so I invested in it and other products. My hair has come back to life. So worth the money.”

“A powerful, multi-tasking mist for every occasion. It protects hair from heat/UV damage, smooths split ends and frizz, detangles and conditions every strand. OUAI Leave-In Conditioner protects against heat damage, primes hair for styling, adds shine and detangles. A few sprays will leave your hair with a gorgeous shine,” according to the website.

heatless curling rod headband

Heatless curls are a trend among influencers and is popular on TikTok. Heatless hairstyles are said to be better for your hair and this product will make it last longer. 

This product is made of satin, so there is no friction against your hair, preventing damage. It is easy to use and you can sleep in it. 

Promising review via Amazon:

“Michelle

It works!

Reviewed in the United States on October 9, 2022

Color: Black Velvet; Verified Purchase

I saw this product on social media and had to try it. It’s comfortable to sleep in and the curls were surprisingly very pretty. I did have to touch up a few spots with my curling iron, but overall a good heatless option!”

The reviews of these hair products are overall on the good side, and a lot of these products have been trending on social media. These hair products are definitely worth a try!

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.