The Best Films To Look Out For In 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Let’s be honest, 2016 kind of sucked. But the one thing we can all agree on is that movies are the one thing in any crappy year that we can all watch to feel like we have an escaped from the world. 2017 is no exception to this rule. So here is a list of the best films to see this year by genre.

Fantasy: Beauty and the Beast

This is by far the movie I am most excited for, mostly because it’s so close to coming out in theaters. Watch the trailer, here.  Belle is one of the most iconic Disney princesses of all time and the animated movie itself is one of the most classic animated films of all time. The music is amazing and the animation is the classic 2D graphics that we grew up to love. Now, they’re bringing it to the big screen in live-action form with Emma Watson as the tough Belle (amazing choice) and just from the trailer, it already looks to be one of the best films this year.

Superhero: TIE Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 vs. Spiderman: Homecoming

I am a huge superhero fan; I have been for years. However, I’m a fan of the movies that seem to put underdogs at the front, which is why I chose these two movies. For Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, the first one was a huge show of people who were all not-so-perfect characters coming together to save the world and it was hilarious, with an awesome soundtrack behind that. The sequel is guaranteed to bring back those belly laughs from the first.

For Spiderman, he’s not just an underdog (total geek that rises with superpowers), but the movie is being produced by Marvel Studios, which means Spiderman is officially a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It already looks awesome from the trailer.

Action: TIE, Logan/War for the Planet of the Apes

It was hard to pick just one of these, so I went with another tie. Logan, if you don’t know, is a superhero (He’s Wolverine from X-Men) but this movie trailer makes me feel like Hugh Jackman’s last portrayal of the man with the metal claws is more of a dramatic action than an all star-flick. He’s protecting a little girl like him while fighting his own problems. It is basically a superhuman version of the video game, The Last of Us. The movie is bound to tear our hearts out rather than be a normal superhero movie.

War for the Planet of the Apes is the sequel to the last two movies and honestly, I just think it looks cool. The last two films have been amazing, and this one looks just as good with the action of the apes trying to fight for their land.

Sci-Fi: Stars Wars: Episode VIII

This is one of my favorite movies coming out. The latest movie in the Star Wars universe is coming out in December and is going to have the continued story of Rey, Luke Skywalker, and the rest of the gang. It is going to have the late Carrie Fisher reprise her roll as Princess Leia, or in this case, Commander and have the same amount of action and light saver goodness we have all seen in the past. Not much is known about the plot, but does it really matter? It’s Star Wars. The effects alone are amazing enough to see it.

Comedy: Pitch Perfect 3

They’re back, pitches! Although not much is known about the upcoming sequel to the smash comedy hits about the all-female a cappella group, It’s bringing back all of our favorites, including Becca and Fat Amy and bringing even more drama than before. It’s scheduled to come out before Christmas.

Drama/Epic: Dunkirk

I have never been the biggest drama fan in my life, but this movie trailer just gives me chills. From amazing movie director, Christopher Nolan (Inception, Interstellar, Dark Knight Trilogy) he brings drama in acting and beautiful cinematography into one fantastic looking film that speaks volumes about what happened in Dunkirk and the evacuation of the Allied soldiers in World War 2. The films have Tom Hardy, as well as Harry Styles, making his acting debut. If that’s not enough to go to the theater, I don’t know what is. Watch the trailer, here. 

Animation: TIE, Cars 3/ Despicable Me 3

This is some year for sequels. Although I am not a huge fan of the latter of both of these movies, their trailers speak differently. Cars 3 looks a bit darker than previous, something movie companies have been exploring, and Despicable Me 3 looks like it has an awesome eighties soundtrack (who doesn’t love Michael Jackson’s Bad?) and has the co-creator of South Park, Trey Parker, playing the villain. If that’s not guaranteed for a good laugh, I don’t know what is. Oh, and the animation is amazing, too.

Oscar-Buzz: TIE, La La Land/Hidden Figures

Although these films technically came out in 2016, it didn’t really make that much hype until it completely swept the Golden Globes this year. La La Land and Hidden Figures give us amazing acting performances, storylines, and music. Besides, who wouldn’t want to see Ryan Gosling dance? Or see three proud women rocking the engineering business? I know I do.

Horror: Insidious: Chapter 4/IT

Although I have never been a huge fan of horror, when it’s that certain time of the year, we all need to snuggle up with our friends and watch some horror films. Insidious: Chapter 4 is the next movie in the creepy saga that has been haunting theaters for years and now it’s coming back in October.

IT is the story of a clown that’s been haunting a town for years and children are absolutely afraid of it. Although there was a TV movie of it back in 1990, this is the first time Stephen King’s novel of the horrific clown has been brought to the bug screen. IT hits theaters in September.

Grab your popcorn and get cozy. Happy watching, collegiettes!

Cover Photo: 1

Alexandra is a senior at Penn State majoring in Digital-Print Journalism in the College of Communications. She is the assistant editor for Her Campus and loves everything else PSU has to offer her. She is involved with the Onward State, and would like to somehow benefit THON. Alex loves to write, sing, bake, and dance around like no one is watching. Alex is known to love her animals, including her cat, Grace, who isa little devil at the same time. Oh, and pizza. She loves pizza like it's her world. Follow her on Instagram for her craziness: allieramos1698
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.