This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Even though summer is here, I have somehow still found plenty of time to watch documentaries on Netflix. I enjoy watching documentaries in that I learn all sorts of interesting new information about topics that I have minimal knowledge on. There are so many documentaries on Netflix to watch and sometimes it can be overwhelming to look through all of them and pick ones that are engaging. 

Still, I’ve managed to find a couple of really interesting ones that are either docuseries or single documentaries. Some are true crime and some are sports-related, but these are ones that have kept me on the edge of my seat for the duration of my watching. They are as follows.

“Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal”

This documentary recently got released on Netflix and is about the college admission scandal that broke in 2019. Through interviews, court transcripts and clips of news articles it tells the story of how one man created a way for wealthy children to get into some of the most prestigious colleges. I remember when this story broke I was a senior in high school who was obsessed with the details of this case. 

That being said, watching this documentary definitely renewed my interest in the case. This documentary is 100 minutes long  and it had me on the edge of my seat the entire time even though I already knew most of the information they talked about. I would highly recommend watching this if you are someone who feels cheated by the college admissions system or if you have heard of this case and are interested to see the punishments everyone involved in it received. 

“Murder Among The Mormons”

I found this documentary in Netflix’s Top 10 section and was instantly intrigued because I had never heard of this case before. It is a docuseries consisting of three episodes which discuss the Mormon historical artifacts trade scene and how it led to bombings that killed two prominent Mormons. 

Between the testimony from the people who were involved in the Mormon artifacts trade scene and the story itself, it will literally leave you shocked when you find out what exactly happened. Normally with docuseries, I like to take breaks between the episodes just to relax and digest the information. However, I couldn’t stop watching this series and I finished it within one night. I highly recommend watching this because I believe that everyone will find it fascinating.

“Evil Genius: the True Story of America’s Most Diabolical Bank Heist”

Within this docuseries, there are so many twists and turns but I promise it is worthwhile. It tells the true story of an individual who robbed a bank with a bomb strapped to his neck. He also had detailed instructions on how to take the bomb apart. In short, the bomb exploded on his neck because the police couldn’t get the bomb off. 

The docuseries examines the investigation of the “geniuses” that masterminded the plan. Although the event took place in Erie, P.A. in 2003, the docuseries came out in 2018. The series consists of four episodes; each episode more entertaining than the previous one. If you are someone who is fascinated by true crime, you will definitely enjoy the docuseries.

“The Last Dance”

This is a sports documentary about Michael Jordan who is arguably the best basketball player of all time. It tells the story of how Michael Jordan came to be the recognizable name that he is today along with the Chicago Bulls’ last season together. The documentary focuses on the team’s journey to win their 6th NBA Championship as well. 

As someone who likes watching sports but not necessarily basketball, I still managed to find this documentary fascinating through the clips of Michael Jordan as he defied gravity during his games. “The Last Dance” made me wish I was more into watching basketball. Whether you are into watching basketball or not, there is still a good chance that you will find this documentary interesting.

These documentaries and docuseries were so interesting to watch and I highly recommend watching any one of them when you are bored. Even if you aren’t bored, treat yourself to one of these documentaries or docuseries. Happy watching, collegiettes!

Reese Bernstein is a senior at Penn State majoring in Psychology with a focus in business. She is from "right outside" of DC in Northern Virginia. Along with writing for Her Campus, Reese is a member of a sorority and occasionally goes to the gym when feeling motivated.