Basketball Manager Nick Higgins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Major: Supply Chain Management

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: East Norriton, PA

Fun Fact: I only wear Nike brand clothes.

HC: Why did you decide to become the manager of the basketball team?

NH: I decided to become a manager of the basketball team for two reasons. The first reason being that I always wanted to get into coaching when I became older, and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get my foot in the door with a great program and make some strong connections with the coaches. The second reason was because, while in high school, I did a lot of video scouting for the La Salle College High School basketball team and I really enjoyed the experience. I felt like doing the same thing in college would be a great opportunity for my future. 

HC: What is your favorite part about the job?

NH: My favorite part of being a manager is definitely getting to travel with the team. It’s always exciting going to different schools, campuses and cities. My favorite place we went to last year was Michigan State. The history and success that that program has is second to none. It was really cool to walk onto the court and look up to see Magic Johnson’s banner hanging from the rafters. This year, I’m really looking forward to the Charleston Classic where we’ll be playing at the College of Charleston in a five-day tournament.

HC: What is your least favorite part?

NH: My least favorite part of being a manager is morning workouts. There’s absolutely nothing fun about waking up at 5:30 A.M. and being in the gym by 6:00 A.M. 

HC: Who is your favorite player and why?

NH: My favorite player on the team has to be Geno Thorpe. He’s probably the funniest one on and off the court, and he’s definitely one of the most exciting players to watch. He always brings a ton of energy to each and every game and practice. In addition to his performance on the court, he was one of the first players on the team that I really got to know well.

HC: What is Pat Chambers like?

NH: Coach Chambers is a special person. There’s really no other coach like Coach Chambers. The positive energy and experience that he has brought to this program is something that the basketball program here at Penn State hasn’t seen in a long time. When Coach isn’t on the court, he’s also one of the nicest people in the basketball offices. He always makes you feel special in a conversation and always wants to know how your academics are going or will simply ask about your day. He really cares about each and every person in the basketball program and is ready to take Penn State basketball to the next level. 

HC: What has been your favorite experience at Penn State so far?

NH: My favorite experience at Penn State so far has to be beating Ohio State at home last year on Senior Night and seeing all the fans in attendance rush the court. There’s nothing like beating Ohio State twice in one season and it was really special to see senior Tim Frazier get that big win at his last home game. 

HC: What other activities are you involved in on campus?

NH: Not really in any other activities because my life is all about basketball, haha.

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.