This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a young girl, I envied my older cousins who rocked their Juicy Couture sweatsuits and more notably, their Abercrombie skinny jeans. They were the epitome of cool slim fit that hugged the ankle and fell right below your belly-button. 

When my mom finally let me purchase my first pair, I was ecstatic, for I deemed myself as “cool.” 

These jeans were everything to me. I counted down the days until my next tag day or dress-down days at my private grammar school. I styled them with my sparkly cardigans and Justice camisoles — the ultimate 2000s girl starter pack. 

But as I grew older, skinny jeans became less and less popular, as others were opting for the straight leg, boot-cuts or even wide-leg styles. 

I adapted to this denim change, and embraced these styles, but still missed that cling to my thigh and overall comfort I felt from the skinny. 

Of course, it was much to my excitement when I took note of style icons — specifically models like Kendall Jenner, Jordan Dunn and Bella Hadid — styling skinny jeans and bringing them back into trend. 

They styled black skinny jeans with white t-shirts and black booties, normal blue ones with little white tank tops, or paired them with oversized sweatshirts and leather jackets. 

These models not only brought back a piece of my childhood fashion that I missed, but also gave me inspiration to reinvent the pants as I enter my adulthood. 

So, if you’re on the edge about whether or not skinny jeans are still in style, or just scared to take the plunge, here are some tips on ways you can style them. 

Pair them with a simple white-t shirt. 

I don’t think there is a style that screams classic more than a pair of blue jeans and a white-t shirt. 

This outfit will always be considered stylish no matter the season or even decade. 

As for what kind of white t-shirts are perfect to wear with your skinny jeans, I recommend opting for one that has a looser fit, and tucking in the excess. 

If you pair a tight jeans with a tight t-shirt that isn’t cropped, your body may appear one-dimensional and not show off those curves. 

That’s why I suggest a happy medium between too oversized and too tight — a little loose feel with enough excess for the tuck. 

Pair the with some heeled booties 

My favorite feature of a skinny jean is the way they hug your ankles and give a slim illusion to your legs. 

When paired with heels, your legs are elongated even more —a win-win situation. 

I suggest a black skinny jean with a black platform bootie so you can look like you’re ready for a strut in Soho with Hailey Bieber.

Styled with a cropped tight tee or tank 

I know I said a tight t-shirt with a tight top isn’t the best way to style these pants, but when it’s cropped, it works. 

When you wear a crop top, it shows off your snatched waist, and with a skinny jean that falls right at the belly-button, your hips will be on full display. 

If tight crop tops aren’t your thing, try a cropped button down.

Whether you purchase the button down cropped a size smaller or tight it up yourself, that whole sophisticated yet sexy vibe is successfully achieved. 

All in all, if you’re debating on wearing something because it might not be “style,” anymore — go for it! 

Style is so subjective, and something you find stylish, someone else might too. If you feel confident and beautiful in an outfit, and the color is deemed as ‘last season’, that is not a good enough reason to put it down. 

Wear it. Have fun with fashion and stop putting so much stress on what’s a trend and what isn’t. 

Hi! My name is Brooke and I am a junior at Penn State! I am currently studying Advertising and Public Relations with minors in French and History. I have an incredible love for fashion and I hope to one day fulfill my dream of working in the fashion industry.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.